Microsoft MakeCode

Tiny Wizards

@darzu Definitely editor speed. I all but stopped work on the game because it was becoming too time consuming to code. A faster editor opens up a lot of possibilities.

I’ll give it a go when I’m back at my computer and let you know how the performance improves.

I was wondering what would have helped editor speed before this. I have a reasonable gaming pc but only 8gb of ram. Do you know what’s important with regards to pc specs and editor speed?

1 Like

I love this game and I beat the game!
I don’t know how to screenshot on mac but great game!

cmd+shift+4 usually works! https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

1 Like

Have there been any thoughts on a desktop app? Doing things in a browser can really take a hit on computer perf, but on a desktop app you could probably utilize more power. (And I could give that process a higher priority)

On macbook air is command+shift+3

1 Like

OMG! I love micro mages, and this feels just like it! God job! Awesome! :smiley:

Is micro mages on one of those 620 classic games system

The original

1 Like

LOVE THIS GAME

Same well, I didn’t really beat it only got to 3rd level but it is really cool

1 Like

WOW! Just wow. This game is INCREDIBLE!! The detail spent in this game is just unbelievable! Keep making great games!

2 Likes

Hey @SPerkins25! I have been speedrunning games lately! I tried speedrunning this game and got 4 minutes and 5 seconds. Super hard and eventually beat the boss battle. This is a lot of fun. I speedrun games a lot (but no world records) but this is a whole lot of fun though.

2 Likes

I love that you still play this game and your speedrun is really impressive. I’ve ran the game myself now and set a real challenge for you. I’ve set a time of 3 minutes and 28 seconds and I’ve got some tips to help you out!

• Climbing ropes is faster if you hold A and jump from side to side.
  • Use damage from enemies to reach higher spots without having to charge your weapon to max for the super jump.
  • You can charge your weapon during the door change animation.
  • Prioritise hearts from candles so you can use damage boosting as often as possible.
  • Kill as few enemies as possible, they waste precious time and never drop anything (only candles drop items).
  • Get to the end boss with at least weapon level 2 so that you can kill him in one cycle. If you can get to him with max weapon level you can kill him in
3 Likes

WOW. Nice speedrunning tips. I’ve tried speedrunning like Mario games and I kept dying. I guess the propeller suit is the best powerup in the game I guess

1 Like

I usually speedrun short games like this on my break times. It’s a lot of fun with the code and how you assembled it and yes… the lag was real. Good thing that the computer barely got even slower. The loading symbol must’ve been taking his own time when you got all this code

You had a 1 life clutch and you missed some jumps on the way. What do you use to screen record?

OBS (Open Broadcaster Software)

There’s definitely room to improve the run. I think it’s a good challenge though! It was quite fast.

1 Like

2 minutes and 49 seconds

2 Likes

I found a glitch but it’s not from your code. I found a way to glitch through the breakable walls but then I don’t know how I did it. Maybe it’s from the size of your code instead of the blocks. I’m still speedrunning (literally) and this has been a lot of fun. I’ll try to install the screen recorder!

1 Like

Hey @SPerkins25! I will beat the game without taking a powerup. No lives or any level-ups with the tiny arrows

Edit: Too easy. Clutched it with 1 life
The boss battle contained so many power ups that it went crazy with me. I almost touched one though

1 Like

It’s a bug in my code. You can replicate it by walking into a breakable box while holding the opposite direction, then letting go of the forward direction.

Part of the reason my Garden Jam entry Snail Hike had you picking up and dropping blocks was because I learned a bit more about actively manipulating the tilemap layer. In Tiny Wizards the breakable blocks aren’t walls on the tilemap, they are sprites that push you back based on the side you’re pushing against. It’s also why the blocks always appear with walls above and below them: they act very weird if you let the player stand on top of them.

1 Like

I remember the snail hike game! That was challenging and fun.