3D dungeon crawler, similar to Dungeon Master/Eye of the Beholder

Hello everyone!

In order to make games for my custom MakeCode compatible handheld console (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZcDpu__DRo ) I’ve started making a retro dungeon crawler…

It’s a game similar to Dungeon Master or Eye Of the Beholder.
It’s a struggle to make it work correctly on the small RP2040 processor, but so far, I have something playable…barely, but playable.

I’m using the 3D raycasting extension, the one without floors or ceiling, because the microprocessor just barely handle it (I tried!)…

I’ll keep working on it, and should have some video soon, but in the meantime, here are some screenshots :slight_smile:

For those curious about the “III” in the title, I’ve already made 2 Dark&Under games, in black and White, running on an Arduino processor… Dark & Under (1bit) and Dark & Under (Greyscale)

26 Likes

THIS LOOKS SICK!! I wish I was this good a t pixal art :((

2 Likes

Hey ummm pls be my mentor. You have published your own VR game, made your consoles, and made a website. Please teach me.

2 Likes

Oh my god this actually looks AMAZING DUDE!

1 Like

I’ve recolored the first dungeon in grey (I’ll reserve the green for the sewers level) and created new environments - working on the main town, which will be a quest hub… it’s moving slowly, but surely! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This looks amazing! Did you do the splash art yourself?

so @luxregina you gonna teach me or..

@Sword_Studios I have a full time job, and other games aside this one I’m working on, so I don’t really have time to “mentor” people (I’m a professor of Game production IRL, so I already do that every day :)) - BUT - feel free to tag me with questions, and if I know the answer, I will happily jump in! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Rune Yep, this whole thing is just me playing with Makecode… the splash is just a colorized and slightly adapted version of Dark and Under II (and 1)

4 Likes

A bit blurry (I was holding the camera in the other hand, and didn’t equip my best lens) but a proof it’s working on my “RetroMate” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

MMMM beurtifal me getting handheld thig for birthday

Just popping-in quickly to give an update on this project… I’ve kept working on it and it’s moving forward : I have 20ish enemies, 10 mazes, some quest already written and wired… I’ve programmed a very simple combat system, and once everything is wired together, I’ll see how I can refine it… I was hoping to be done at the end of August, and I’m not done yet, and I have a bunch of real-life stuff that is going to need my attention next week and forward, but I’m confident I’m more than half-way done :slight_smile:

Here are some screens:
City, King’s Quest and City sewers

Haunted Forest, Hermit’s Quest and Necropolis

Enemies, so far

And what the code looks so far… I focus on keeping it clean, but haven’t done an “optimization” phase yet to see where I can shrink it

I’m sure I’ll have more news at the end of this coming week!

7 Likes

Wow this is amazing!

2 Likes

This is some nice work, luxregina!
I honor the dedication and talent.
Can’t wait to see the finished game!

Also, I’m gunna check out that handheld my self, it looks cool.

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile:
Unfortunately, I’ve started teaching again, so my free time has reduced… the game is technically “done” as in “all systems are in place and working” but now I need to spend the time laying out interesting maps, challenging mazes (but not too much!) etc…
Hopefully something I can do on a timely manner…
In the meantime, here’s another screen captures of the revised starting content :


3 Likes

cant wait to play!

2 Likes