Microsoft MakeCode

Blocks for breaking and continuing

As the title says, a block for the statements break and continue, that would go under Loops and be a light green block like the while and for blocks?

Hi UnsignedArduino,

I’m not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here is a non elegant way I was able to achieve this. I created a custom.ts file for this example for you:

/** * Custom blocks */ //% weight=100 color=#0fbc11 icon="" namespace customLoops { let breakVar = false
/**
 * TODO: describe your function here
 */
//% block="While $condition"
export function WhileLoop(condition:boolean,code: () => void):void
 {

while(true)
{
if(condition && !breakVar) //If a break hasn’t occured and condition still == true
{
code() //Run the user provided code
}

basic.pause(200)  //Pause for 200 ms to allow the scheduler to run

}

}

//% block="Break"
export function BreakFunction(): void {
    breakVar = true //Set the breakVar variable to true to create a break

}

/**
 * TODO: describe your function here
 */
//% block="Continue"
export function ContinueFunction() {
    breakVar = false //Set the breakVar variable to false to allow loop to run again
}

}

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Josh

1 Like

Thanks, but there is already commands to do this in TS, so I want blocks for those commands. I already do this in blocks anyway. (have a break variable)

Side note: You should surround code with 3 backticks and a newline like this:

```
code here
```

would look like this:

code here

We do actually support these blocks, but they’re enabled on a per editor basis as they’re considered advanced / can be confusing for new coders - e.g. the ev3 editor has them:

They’re toggled with target flags.

If you want to see these in a particular editor a feature request in that repo would be helpful to track!

1 Like

Done.

2 Likes

Wow, they added it!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! Sorry, I just realized I never replied. I had been using an HTML code tag

1 Like