Microsoft MakeCode

I wish there was a Micro:bit help category

I do not understand directional magnetic sensing. I do see that the values vary as you re-direct the position of the Micro:bit but the meaning of that escapes me. Strength of magnetism makes sense to me if it varies with distance to the sensor. Video of 4 analog magnetic data fields: Micro:bit V2.
https://youtu.be/12FjLPApmm4

wonder if you have seen the following - i found them quite informatve!

Well, there’s this:

Key Points

• Earth is largely protected from the solar wind, a stream of energetic charged particles emanating from the sun, by its magnetic field. These particles would strip away the ozone layer, which protects Earth from harmful ultraviolet rays.
  • Earth’s magnetic field is generated by a feedback loop in the liquid outer core: Current loops generate magnetic fields; a changing magnetic field generates an electric field; and the electric and magnetic fields exert a force on the charges that are flowing in currents (the Lorentz force).
  • The geomagnetic field varies with time. Currents in the ionosphere and magnetosphere cause changes over short time scales, while dramatic geomagnetic reversald (where the North and South poles switch locations) occur at apparently random intervals ranging from 0.1 to 50 million years.

Key Terms

• dynamo : A mechanism by which a celestial body such as Earth or a star generates a magnetic field over astronomical timescales via a rotating, convecting, and electrically conducting fluid.

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-physics/chapter/magnetism-and-magnetic-fields/

Thanks Jason, the second link is the web page that I showed in my video but you are right, I had not seen the first link to the Adafruit lesson on Microbit magnetic sensor. It is curious that the Makecode explanation of magnetic force says nothing about polar directions or Earth . Making a metal detector that measures magnetic force in the x direction; (as opposed to the y or z ???) .
I do note the compass heading function as an option but see no statement of how they differ. It is the “of three directions” that has me baffled but I see that we may have a polar reversal in 50 million years so we can look forward to that . Thanks for your interest in my question. We will look into the xyz affair of magnets to see if there is some use for that in our projects.