Introducing: What's My Word?

Alright; I couldn’t resist:

If you haven’t played this yet, then you probably should head over to Josh’s web site and play his game, Wordle.

I was thinking about ways to incorporate data files into MakeCode Arcade, and I thought, “Why not?” My game has a dictionary of 1,000 of the most common English five-letter words according to Wictionary.[1] A thousand words is a shockingly small dictionary. I’d say 20% of the guesses that I attempt are not found in my word list.

Feel free to use the link at the bottom of the player to tinker the game (including the word list). I’ll continue to tweak the game over time. (For example, double letters in a guess may not display as expected.)

Have fun!

[1] Credit to h3xx for compiling. Wictionary top 100,000 most frequently-used English words [for john the ripper] (github.com)

See all of my MakeCode Arcade games and extensions here!

6 Likes

hehe, i just played wordle yesterday and I now see this today

New version is up. Includes an updated word list with nearly 2,000 words that I’ve scanned to remove as many non-words as I could find. Apparently, many of the most-commonly used words in Wictionary are proper names, archaic words, French words, and German words. Who knew! Also added some sound effects, and it should handle double letters properly now.

I really need to stop fiddling with this! :smiley:

Very fun, I’ll try out the original too

dont ask why I put tough

1 Like

New version. Includes stats and adds about 150 words. Word list is now just over 2,000 words. Seriously. I need to stop. :laughing:

1 Like

It’s funny how these things can take on a life of their own.

Originally, I threw this together in a couple of hours just to try out some ideas. Because I put it together so hastily, I was never happy with the design. Over the course of the week, I restructured my JavaScript template and refactored the game to use better design principles (particularly, stronger OOP design).

I love the new debugger extensions in the experimental version. The current debugger works really well for single-file projects. If you work with multiple files, though, then you really should turn on the experimental debugger.[1] It works perfectly in multi-file projects. It would have taken me so much longer find and correct errors without it!

OK; I need to get some actual work done today. :smiley: Hope you all had a great weekend!

[1] Turn on experiments by clicking on the version number at the bottom of the home page.

2 Likes

So … how’s everyone doing with What’s My Word? :laughing:

It’s funny how attached I’ve become to this one!

BTW, if you like Wordle, then you definitely should give its evil cousin, Quordle a try. I was on a roll, but it’s gotten me twice in a row now.

Daily Quordle #39
:red_square::five:
:seven::four:

:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square: :white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square: :white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square: :yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square: :white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square:
:yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square: :green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square: :black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square: :black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square: :black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square: :black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:

:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square: :green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square: :white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square: :yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square: :green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square: :black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square: :black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square: :black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:

1 Like

QUORDLE??? Well, i’ve found something to spend my time on

1 Like

Daily Quordle #42
:nine::red_square:
:eight::six:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square: :white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square: :white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square: :white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square: :white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::green_square: :white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square: :white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square: :white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square: :yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:

:white_large_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square: :white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square: :yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square: :white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square: :green_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square::green_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square: :green_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square::green_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square: :green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square: :black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square: :black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:

1 Like

I’ve done the quordle multiple times now and only rlly managed to get 1 daily quordle win. poor me

Since Wordle dropped, some really neat derivatives have arrived on the scene. Here is my now-daily routine.

I might make an Antiwordle clone someday. Wickedly frustrating game.

can’t forget kilordle!

1 Like