Microsoft MakeCode

Presenting: Hunt the Wumpus

This one was a fun one for me to create. It will take you all the way back to 1973. I present to you: The text-based classic, Hunt the Wumpus.

You are wandering through a network of rooms in a cave, hunting a sleepy wumpus. The rooms are connected in the shape of a squashed dodecahedron. Use your favorite search engine to find a cave map for Hunt the Wumpus. Many of them exist. :slight_smile: Instructions are available within the game. You also can read more information about the game in the links that follow.

This one does not yet run on hardware (not even in beta). The wonderful @jwunderl fixed a bug in the hardware compiler that resolves the issue. Once the bug fix is pushed to beta and production, I will update this post accordingly. Thanks, Joey! Update: Production was just bumped to version 0.12.17, which includes Joey’s fix. This one now works smashingly on my BrainPad Arcade! :smiley:

This interpretation is faithful to the original game, created by Gregory Yob and first published in the September/October 1975 issue of Creative Computing.[1] It was re-published in Best of Creating Computing, Volume 1.[2]

Advanced students can use this code as a base to create, say, Wumpus 2.[3]

Have fun! Happy Friday!

[1] September/October 1975 issue of Creative Computing at the Internet archive
[2] Best of Creative Computing, Volume 1 (1976) at Atari Archives
[3] Wumpus 2, from Best of Creative Computing, Volume 2 (1977) at Atari Archives

See all of my MakeCode Arcade games and extensions here!

The color scheme that I chose for this game is rather reminiscent of the Commodore 64. You actually can play this game in a Commodore 64 simulator at the Internet Archive.[1] If you’ll indulge me, I’ll share a little bit of history as it pertains to this game and others like it.

I was fortunate to have my parents buy me my first computer when I was 10 years old. It was a Tandy Color Computer 2, and I loved that thing. Its garish green screen was an odd comfort to me as I learned to program in BASIC. When I was young, my siblings and I would often spend summers at my grandmother’s house, and she bought a Tandy Color Computer 2 for our use, as well.

I spent many hours in front of a 12" CRT with magazines like Creative Computing, laboriously typing lines of BASIC code into my CoCo. I actually never played Hunt the Wumpus when I was a kid, but I entered many other text adventures into my CoCo and played them with glee. I also played off-the-shelf text adventures like Sands of Egypt, along with a lot of other fun and clever games.

As I entered those BASIC problems, I learned different programming techniques, very much in a Piagetian way.[2] Drop a student into an environment, provide a little guidance along the way, and then allow students to draw conclusions from the environment as they are ready. It’s fascinating to reflect upon those days and how I was able to learn in my own way and at my own pace.

For giggles, I recreated the Tandy Color Computer screen for my own version of Hunt the Wumpus:

Hunt%20the%20Wumpus%20CoCo

To think that I spent hour after hour in front of that gaudy green screen is frightening to the adult version of me. :slight_smile:

This game uses my Display Strings extension. That gets its own post in the forum momentarily. :slight_smile:

[1] Hunt the Wumpus at the Internet Archive
[2] Read Mindstorms by Seymour Papert. Really.

1 Like