Presenting Pong

I’ve mentioned that I’m using the history of video games to help structure a course that I’m writing. It seems reasonable to me, then, to go back in time to the first commercially successful video game.[1][2]

This week, I present: Pong. Two versions, actually: solo (i.e. against the computer), or grab a friend and play PvP.

Solo version:

PvP version:

Naturally, you’re encouraged to tweak the parameters in the game to your liking.

Most importantly, have fun! Happy Friday!

[1] The first commercially-marketed video game console, the Magnavox Odyssey, predates Atari’s Pong.

[2] Don’t worry … we’ll be going back even further next week. If you’ve been following along, you probably can guess what next week’s installment will be.

3 Likes

Classics are the best, thanks

1 Like

Pong works with Meowbit by Kittenbot, console for Arcade, $35 on Ebay. Great job on the retro game: Pong. It is a challenge to play this one; great fun !

1 Like

I love that you’re going through the forums and testing out our games on the MeowBit, @frank_schmidt. It’s certainly an interesting device, and I’m looking forward to getting my hands on one really soon! Glad you liked Pong!

Our boys at the library in southern Missouri tried some games on Monday morning with the Meowbit as a console device. I see it now for $35 on Ebay. These boys tried out your games and others and were able to change sprites to custom icons. This is such an engaging retro game and I insist the kids look at their JavaScript code which stands behind the blocks. So much education; so much fun ! Thank you for your efforts AlexK.

1 Like

I teach for an online university out of Saint Joseph, American Business and Technology University. I try to make it out there a couple of times a year. Last summer, they treated me to a wonderful trip to Warsaw and to the Truman Reservoir. Great people out there! Always glad to meet new friends in Missouri!

It sounds like you and your “boys at the library” are using this young platform to its fullest: to play, to create, and to learn. For the JavaScript code, you might discuss how a human may write the code differently (compared to the automated code generator). If the students are interested in something more structured, definitely take a look at the CS Intro courses linked on the front page. They aren’t quite in their final form, but they’re already in really good shape.

Glad you’re having fun! It’s what we’re all hoping for with this platform.

I have looked at some of that CS info and mentioned it over on “classroom” at Adafruit Discord forum to other people interested in ed. of kids. I am retired now (from dentistry) and travel Missouri for various activities. Please let me know when you are next in KC area or anywhere else in this state or nearby for a meet-up. On another note: do you have a friend with or your own 3d printer? My kids had the idea of using a $1 magnifying glass, plastic disk, above the 1.77 in. TFT screen of the Meowbit to more easily see the sprites. How about some kind of printed bracket to hold it, maybe 2 inches above the TFT? I’d like to work on this but no printer and no skills with one. Thx. Alex.