[Announcement] MakeCode Arcade Mini Game Jam #1

Announcing MakeCode Arcade Mini Game Jam #1

Hey folks!

We’re excited to announce that we will be holding our first ever Mini Game Jam the week after next! Mini game jams are going to be small, less formal, one week game jams that we host every once in a while in between full-sized game jams. These jams might even include challenges other than coding! There will be no winners for mini jams, but everyone who participates will get a special mini game jam badge to use on the forum. We’ll also play through some of your submissions on the Arcade Advanced Livestream!

These jams are meant to be fun and casual, so don’t worry about getting a head start on your submission. The jam will be designed so that you can finish it in a week.

We’ll announce the full rules on Monday, September 20th at 9:00 AM PDT so stay tuned!

- The MakeCode Team

14 Likes

I suggest that these mini jams are hosted once a month, so you can also call them monthly jams :joy:

5 Likes

dude this is going to be so cool

3 Likes

I can’t wait :smiley:

3 Likes

Sounds awesome! I’m very excited!

If I am free after school, I’ll try to get one done!

2 Likes

I can’t wait

2 Likes

What I’ve been working on for the game jam, struggling to figure out the auto destroy system for the spikes, so the fps gets really bad (if someone could help with that that’d be great, I’ve tried everything) and there’s no collision or lives. Yeah, enjoy (i guess lol).

1 Like

Oh! This game jam is actually going to be a little different from the others–you won’t be making a game from scratch, we’ll have some template materials and specific rules that we will announce on Monday. (But don’t worry, we’re having another big/freeform game jam in December!)

5 Likes

Ok @shakao! Just made this maybe for a space jam in the future. Can’t wait for the details!

2 Likes

If you want the spikes to be destroyed when they leave the screen, just set auto destroy to ON.

If you’re looking for something else, then just let us know. We’re all happy to help!

3 Likes

how do you post your games?

@GKcode we’ll be announcing all the details on monday!

1 Like

Sounds good to me!

But three brave cats in space happens after dragon masters, DJ Ryan, and Realm Jumpers(Also called fly though time 2). But it is ok if the them for this jam is space because I know that doing jams in a lot of work for you.

If you do a space jam make it formal and not a mini jam because I have a story board time line and one of the games one there is three brave cats in space.

1 Like

can you make a fantasy jam

@AlexK I know about the auto destroy, it’s just that when I turn it on regardless the sprite count adds up until the fps just crashes the window.

Here’s my version, @Primal_Nexus :

Even after running for a minute or two, the sprite count stays around 15.

1 Like