[Announcement] MakeCode Arcade Mini Game Jam #3 - Racing Jam

Hey folks!

The theme for the third-ever MakeCode Arcade Mini Game Jam is Racing Games!

That’s right! We’re looking for games that have to do with racing, speed, or anything high-octane. You can interpret that theme any way you like, but it should be obvious how your game relates to the theme without any extra explanation.

Rules

1. Games should be built in MakeCode Arcade
  2. Games should clearly adhere to the theme without the need for any extra explanation
  3. Keep the games PG: no NSFW, offensive, or excessively violent content.
  4. You must be at least 9 years old to participate.
  5. All games must be submitted by someone who is at least 13 years old. Younger students are welcome to participate, but it must be in partnership with an adult and with parent permission.

You have two weeks to enter! The jam will close at 11:59 PM PDT on Monday, September 19th 2022

8 Likes

Coooooool! I have a few questions

• Can It be 2 player?
  • If so Can I use Split-screen?
  • Also What Extensions are allowed?
    Thanks in Advance!

@xxJavaLockedxx answers:

1. Yes!
  2. Yes!
  3. Any and all extensions are allowed!
1 Like

@richard Thanks!

I’m really excited for this mini jam! Just a few questions!

1. @kwx can I use the renderer from MakeCode Kart
  2. @richard is it okay if I use a renderer that is already made if I make the game and all its mechanics? (I’d assume so, because people can use tilemaps and the raycasting extension, and if needed I could make the MakeCode Kart renderer into an extension fairly easily.)
1 Like

Fixed The Bugs! (Well…The Ones I could Find…)

1 Like

There Are Alot Of Glitches tho, Of P2 Dosen’t move Click U
Theres’s Also A problem with the items.

*I’ll assume that is a yes for both questions (stated in my above post) unless the people I asked say otherwise.

As soon as I heard the theme I worked on the game IMMEDIATLY!

This Is A Lightning Based Plane RACE!`

• 2 Player Combatible!
  • Collect Items!
  • RACE TO THE FINISH!
    Enjoy!
    (Good Luck Everyone else Participating)

@Kiwiphoenix364 - you’re welcome to use the MakeCode Kart renderer. As far as I’m concerned I don’t think there’s a big difference between using a library component (assuming the author is OK with it being reused) vs an extension, but I’m not the one making the contest rules :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @kwx!!! I have some ideas for a racing game (much different than MakeCode Kart) and I think it’ll turn out to be pretty cool!

Two questions ?
1 is it allowed to you typescript
2. Do we get badges like in the other game jams?

Mine it will be just a few blocks its like a chance game

@Kiwiphoenix364 if you make makecode cart an extension please post it🥺

Here is mine. its called racer rally, made it a month ago and it fits this jam well.

3 Likes

Sorry for the delayed responses to these questions! I’ve been out for most of this week. Some answers:

@Kiwiphoenix364: it’s totally fine to reuse code!
@Sonicblaston: TypeScript and Python are both 100% allowed! I’m still trying to figure out the best way to do rewards for these jams. I will come up with something by the end of this mini game jam!

3 Likes

how about money

100$

Nah i was joking how about a badge call mini game jammer

2 Likes

How do I submit the game? Do I just post it here?

Spoilers for my game, Racers. (I suck at naming things lol)

Spoiler

Ah yes, me vs. me, and I won against myself. :rofl:

Hope everyone’s submissions are going well so far!

5 Likes