Microsoft MakeCode

Arcade Advanced Stream #92 - Lose Your Balloon

If you love it…let it go :balloon:

Join @shakao, @jwunderl, @richard, and me as we make a game about strategically releasing a balloon to get to the goal! But there are fans and spikes on the walls, so you have to be smart about it! The balloon also traces its own path so you can see the result later.

Watch the full stream here: https://youtu.be/lB7AYfvnOio

Check out the code below:

The MakeCode Arcade Advanced stream happens weekdays at 1:00 PM PST on twitch.tv/msmakecode

4 Likes

The square root thing really confuses me in the video

ooo yeah the distance formula, right? It’s basically:

sqrt((x1-x2)^2 + (y1-y2)^2)

but since we don’t have a square function, I have to make it

sqrt((x1-x2) * (x1-x2) + (y1-y2) * (y1-y2))

which just makes it so long :frowning:

we don’t have a square function,

One of the options on the basic math operator block is ** which corresponds to JavaScript’s exponentiation operator:

You can use that one to square something slightly more compactly by doing val ** 2.

2 Likes

Honestly, I’m 13 and that is to confusing for me

omgggggg TIL

2 Likes

ahhh is the distance formula the confusing part or the translation into code?

I don’t know any of that. I just started eighth grade.

I’m mainly in to block coding than javascript or python

ahhh yeah that’s totally fair!

the distance formula is basically used to find the distance between two points. So you have point 1 (x1, y1), and point 2 (x2, y2), and you just plug that into the formula!

yeah you can do so much within blocks XD

Woooooooooooooooow! :upside_down_face:

Me too. It is easier.
I code with blocks

Up up and away!!

1 Like

You’ll get there, @Dreadmask197 ! Things like the distance formula will make more sense once you get to your algebra class. Take as much math as you can in high school! The more exposure you get to math, the easier some of these more complex ideas in computer programming get. Keep working at it, and keep asking questions! We’re all here to help.

Just another year @AlexK and then I’m in high school

2 Likes