Microsoft MakeCode

Battery for Kittenbot Meowbit

Does anyone know what the specification is for the battery for the Kittenbot Meowbit? Are there any particular batteries that are recommended?

The only thing I can find is https://www.kittenbot.cc/products/meowbit-codable-console-for-microsoft-makecode-arcade which states Supply voltage:USB(5V), Lithium battery pack(3.7~4.2V)but doesn’t list the connector type, polarity, maximum physical size of the battery nor the cable length requirement.

They sell battery packs on taobao (https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.16.2ee91fa9B8bCIx&id=590107348592&ns=1&abbucket=12#detail not sure whether links are allowed here.) but probably not able to ship oversea. I’ve reposted this thread to the kittenbot chat group and hopefully they will have a look into this.

With size less than 25 x 50 x 10 (mm) are suitable :cat:

Thanks, the video on taobao page is useful. The Meowbit case is a surprisingly good fit and it shows how to safely stretch it to get access to the top of the PCB including the power connector. I can see there are polarity markings on the PCB and these match hardware like the Adafruit PyGamer. I’ve just tried a battery I use with the PyGamer on the Meowbit and it works ok which means it is a JST-PH (compatible) connector and has same polarity.

The Adafruit 400mAh and 420mAh batteries only have 25mm cables on them. Their 500mAh version has longer cable looks too chubby to fit. I wonder whether the first two fit in the compartment and can reach the connector. Has anyone tried those?

Pimoroni have a 500mAh at 37 x 30.5 x 5.3mm, I’m wondering whether that can be squeezed into the pouch diagonally?

The connector is really close to the pouch, i don’t think you have to thread it along the battery like it’s done with the kittenbot battery. I think you should be fine with shorter cable.

I found Kitronik do a Polymer Lithium Ion Battery (3.7V, 400mAh) which is 35x23x5.2mm and has a decent length lead with the appropriate polarity JST PH connector on it.

I just put one in a Meowbit and it works well. The Meowbit appears to charge it at about 200mA.

There’s a good video which shows the best way to open up the Meowbit case but I’ve lost it. I’ll add it when I find it.

Pulling around the “ears” to stretch the case a little and accessing from the top is the best way to get in. This makes connecting the battery easier.

Not the one that I was thinking of but you can see the technique for removing the case on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S2QFsk4ArE&t=0m53s - you only need to half remove it to get easier access to the battery connector.

You do not need to actually remove the sleeve, A small needlenose pliers can help a lot.

Indeed, I only tried it because of the video but it did make it easier for me.

I’d forgotten the video showing the partial case removal for battery addition is not on YouTube, it’s on that Tabao page that @felixtsu mentioned earlier!

Pimoroni are now selling the Meowbit battery with a USB lead: Pimoroni: Kittenbot battery and cable for Meowbit. I think I’d still opt for the Kitronik one but it’s nice to have the choice.