How many notes can I play at once?

As the title says, how many notes can I play? I tried playing 7 notes at the same time using the timers extension and the audio starting glitching out. Anyone experience the same? Is there a away to play more, or will I have to sacrifice some notes?

I think it’s sacrifice. I know that you can play multiple notes on a piano but I can’t find a way to do it on arcade.makecode

1 Like

Hmmm, I was able to play 5 notes no problem.

2 Likes

Oh… problem solved? or is this infinite with the amount of notes you can play at the same time. I play the tuba as the smallest kid in band class. with the biggest instrument

2 Likes

:joy: (Sorry for laughing, it’s rude)

I play the piano and clarinet. I want to play 7 notes, but it glitches out. I think somewhere on an MakeCode Arcade Jam page it said that Arcade had a 4 channel sound synthesizer, so I was skeptical about whether it could play 5 or 7 notes. Apparently, it can play 5.

Hmmm…I’ll probably just sacrifice the F#s in the chords at the end of the song.

Sounds good. Do you think they should add a bass clef to the music parts with the treble clef as well I guess

1 Like

What do you mean? Like a play note F#3 on channel 1? Or like play note F# on treble clef octave 3?

I mean like a regular bass clef. I know I play like 50 notes under the regular treble clef but I want like a new bass clef where you can play under those bars as well

1 Like

Ahhh, so you want an octave selector in the notes selector? Yea, I just have a table that converts like F#5 to whatever frequency it is.

1 Like

Hmm… That’s pretty cool

1 Like

I really like this song so I was thinking of making some music out of this
1 Like

I don’t want to copy the song, I want to give myself a challenge and try to remake it

1 Like

This is the problematic script:

There are seven notes. They are all Ds I think, but they aren’t supposed to be. Am I registering too many separately dos @darzu? (Sorry for the ping if you are busy) Or is this a bug?
1 Like

Yes, I figured it out! Apparently, you can only play notes up to 2000 milliseconds. Even if it’s 2001 milliseconds it will glitch out.

Hope this will help someone out.

1 Like

big brains. you got smarts

1 Like

Currently the limit on simultaneous audio channels is 5 I believe:

(thanks @jwunderl)
2 Likes

So technically, if you changed MAX_SOUNDS to like 7, would it work?

If I recall correctly the count is entirely arbitrary so we could probably increase it a bit without any real issue (@mmoskal to confirm)

2 Likes

Yes, it’s arbitrary, but I think even now with maybe 3 sounds it’s hard to hear anything on hardware. It may be better in browser.

3 Likes