Microsoft MakeCode

Radio Extension

Hi -

In Arcade there is a radio extension and I was wondering for what board is that made for?
1 Like

@rymc88

One way of using “radio” as in the above link is by way the Kittenbot SD Wireless chip which costs about $15 US and fits into the Meowbit slot for SD. This allows radio signals between 2 Kittenbots or from Kittenbot to Microbit using MakeCode. We have not seen much use of this hardware in Arcade in the Western World and I have not searched Bilibili videos for SDWireless in China up to this point. There are several examples on our channel above. Note: ignore the error warnings in developing code, SDWireless extension breaks the simulator but does not corrupt the compilation. Also, the chip has two modes, use the green LED setting for radio. Blue is for bluetooth. Game playing between two Meowbits may be possible but I have not developed that as yet. Pygamer has a micro SD card slot but as far as I know it is not useful (in MakeCode). Meowbit has many built-in sensors which can be used to send data to Microbit and then onto the cloud via WiFi systems hardware (WiFi:bit and DFRobot Micro IoT).

2 Likes

Thank you @frank_schmidt for sharing this with me! The Radio feature of the Microbit allows for so many interesting extensions for my students and that is why I am trying to figure it out for the Pybadge. Unfortunately I cannot make the switch to the Meowbit or Kittenbot Arcade Shield since I have already purchased the Pybadges for my class. This was really informative and is definitely going to be on my mind next time I can purchase new hardware.

@rymc88 , The MakeCode Sync Cable "is a Micro B USB to Micro B USB cable that is specifically designed for co-op fun or player-versus-player showdowns. This cable is compatible with PyGamer and the JACDAC pin is connected to the extra ID pin of the Micro B cable so data can pass back and forth. "
https://www.mouser.com/new/adafruit/adafruit-pybadge-for-makecode-arcade/
This suggests a communication between Arcade boards via JACDAC, if it still works.We did use it with Meowbit and I think, GHI Brainpad Arcade at one time. Not radio but a single cable connection. You may have read about this at the Pybadge site above.

@frank_schmidt I saw that and I might give that try as a better than nothing solution since the Pybadges don’t seem to have a Radio feature. I truly appreciate all the resources you have share with me!

By the way, this may not apply to your efforts but if you’d like to use radio with two Microbits , for example to power a 5X5 LED array that could be done and I am giving away the Color:bit , sent to me for free by the inventor, Jumping Yang in Shanghai. I pay for postage to you if you want one. There are several examples on our YouTube channel. All I ask is that the Colorbit be displayed on a simple video and shared. If interested, leave a note on the channel. https://github.com/51bit/ColorBit

I think this video shows our use of JACDAC. I am not sure if the system is working now. There are links in the description of the video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKshfoeGtbM

There are other videos on the channel. It was 2 years ago that we were doing this multi gaming with a wire connection. I think we did not use Pygamer because JACDAC was not supported but I may be wrong.

I will check out those connection cables as I think it is my best bet. I appreciate the offer @frank_schmidt, but I will have to unfortunately pass on the generous offer.

I truly appreciate all of the feedback I have received!