Microsoft MakeCode

Sample sensor data using micro:bit and iPad

Hi! I am giving teacher courses in programing using micro:bit. After the basics, we log sensor data using “write serial” and then export to csv-file for further inspection. However, this only works when using pc and USB cable. On iPad I do get data from the micro:bit through the monitoring and controle menue, but am unable to get a timeseries without copying the numbers by hand.

Is there a solution for data collection and exporting to a file, that does not involve bying a data logging app for the iPad?

I use blocks for the courses, but I might be able to adapt a Python or Java script code.

Best AnneB

Hi…these maybe aren’t quite the type of solution you’re looking for, but a few ideas (that aren’t iPad apps):

• Makecode does have a graph, but it only includes a short amount of time.
  • I made a video showing how to wirelessly stream data to a PC / Makecode (and shows the graphing thing mentioned above) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJiddQwKPck&t=229s .
  • Here’s a PC-based alternative to Makecode for graphing that was created for me by some college students: https://bsiever.github.io/microbit-usb-grapher/ (It also runs in a browser. It may not work that well…Another group is making a second attempt at this and I may have an update in the next few months)

Thank you for replying :slightly_smiling_face:

Both these are for when the micro:bit is connected to a pc by an USB cable. I’m looking for how to export data when the micro:bit is communicating with an iPad. For some reasons some municipalities insist on using iPads for students and teachers.

I understand…I wasn’t sure if the goal was wireless (the first item would help) or the ability the graph (the second two).

The only graphing I’ve used from an iOS device requires buying an app: Itty Bitty Software’s Bitty Data Logger ($2.99: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bitty-data-logger/id1267290444).

With the micro:bit iOS app, you can use Bluetooth to send data to the MakeCode console, just like sending USB/serial data to MakeCode on a PC. See the main home screen Help notes, under Data Analysis. The Flash page has “sample: data analysis”. A recent change in MakeCode has stopped the data download buttons working, but this will be fixed soon.

1 Like

This post implies that the author has some knowledge about the micro:bit iOS app, Bluetooth and MakeCode environment . We know that the micro:bit can communicate via ‘radio’ and SD Wireless card in an Arcade console (Meowbit). Messages can be sent both ways. We also know that the SD Wireless chip is Bluetooth enabled; my cell phone detects the Bluetooth console when the SD Wireless chip is switched from radio (green LED) to Bluetooth (blue LED) and correctly identifies the BLE device. Finally, we know that the manufacturer of SD Wireless (Kittenbot) identifies the hardware as Bluetooth SD Wireless and states that it can communicate using this protocol with the necessary app. installed in the mobile device. Here’s the problem (and maybe someone on this forum could answer it ?) ; when I try to install the app. I get the message that it is not available in my country (USA in my case). I have never had any response from Kittenbot to any of my queries regarding any hardware/software that they make or use. So, is it possible for someone knowledgeable about BLE and MakeCode to develop a working app. allowing Meowbit to communicate with a mobile device ? This would be similar to what @martinwork mentions with Micro:bit 2 way BLE communication. Since it has been done before (probably in China) then it might be possible. Thx.