Microsoft MakeCode

Using old Raspberry Pi A (2011)

Hi folks, sorry if this has been asked before…
I have been enjoying experimenting with arcade using the miowbit so far but have a few old Raspberry Pis (model A) from 2011 and I wanted to know if anyone has been able to get the old model A working with arcade for cardboard.

So far I have uploaded the arcade cardboard firmware and plugged into a monitor with hdmi. I’m getting the configuration program and can see that the pins are accessible for wiring buttons/joystick

I’m guessing the big hurdle is being able to upload games from a pc onto the pi as the usb has to act as a device rather than a hub? If this is not possible, can I just put the game files directly onto the sd card and restart the pi?

Many thanks

@mmoskal what’s the magic flag to produce the .elf file directly?

You can go to https://arcade.makecode.com/?hw=rpi&compile=rawELF and compile some games. When you hit download you should get a file ending in .elf. Put it in prj folder on the SD card. Feel free to rename them, but keep the .elf extension.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Maybe we should also support and document how to use those older RPIs. I’ve got a bunch of them lying around.

1 Like

@thebodger did you have to change anything in the image to make it boot? did the trick with rawELF work for you?

Thank you for your help.
I havent yet uploaded it to the pi - I’ve been really busy this week but I did test the old pi A with the standard pi arcade os and reconfigured the smaller number of pins. The preloaded elf files work fine. I’ll try soon and let you know.