Microsoft MakeCode

About the AP CS Principles category

Welcome! This channel on our Forum is for anyone teaching with the AP CS Principles MakeCode curriculum. Please feel free to use this space to connect with others:

• Ask questions about the course materials
  • Share knowledge or tips and tricks with other Educators
  • Give feedback or suggestions about the course content
  • Meet others teaching the course
1 Like

Hi Jacqueline,
I just stumbled across the AP Computer Science Principles with Microsoft MakeCode webpage and would love access to the curriculum. I cannot find where to get started. Can you help?

3 Likes

I have the same question. I would like to investigate if we can translate this to the Belgian context.

We’re working on getting all the materials online, so it’s easier to access - should be done in the next couple weeks. In the meantime, you can take a look at the files - they’re posted on a OneDrive here: https://aka.ms/MSMakeCodeAPCSP. The OneNote notebook is the main Educator guide. Please let me know what you think (anything missing, or needs edits?) Thanks so much!

3 Likes

@dirkv - this is designed for the US College Board’s Advanced Placement course, so at this time we don’t have any plans to localize in different languages. However, all the materials are open source, so feel free to use any parts of the curriculum and translate yourself.

I signed up for the PD in the summer. Was I supposed to get a confirmation email? I just want to make sure I signed up correctly.

Thank you!

Hi, @jacqueline.russell
We met at this week’s AP CSP training!
During the class, someone said something that I wondered about: that “a sprite is a variable.”
But wouldn’t it be clearer to say a sprite is a data type? In other words, an image of a sprite does not vary, but you can set myPlayer or mySprite or HeyLittleGuy (haha) to be a sprite with certain attributes.
Then that same variable can be reset to have another sprite image associated with it.
Please and thanks!
Where is the best place in the forum to ask questions like these, in the future, please?

Hi Deborah! Thanks so much for participating in the training this week :slight_smile:
Good question. Technically a Sprite is an object with associated properties and behaviors. You can assign a variable to a Sprite, like how we do with the “Set mySprite” block where mySprite is the variable name (or in your example above myPlayer or HeyLittleGuy would be the variable name). Sprites can have multiple different properties associated with them - including an image, a X/Y coordinate position, etc. Here’s an example - https://makecode.com/_3bmUXHXPkdcL. Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions! This Forum is a great place to ask questions!

1 Like

Yesterday, I could access the AP CSP makecode teacher content. Today, it says it doesn’t exist in the OneDrive shared folder. What happened?