Microsoft MakeCode

Advanced micro:bit traffic light, is it possible?

I have seen and done the micro:bit project to make a simple traffic light. What I would like to do with my students is take it up notch. I am trying to figure out how to setup 4 micro:bit traffic lights that can talk to each other. What I want is to make it so they cycle around all 4 traffic lights properly as if it were a 4-way intersection.

1 Like

Ooh! Interesting!

I think you could do this with the blocks in the Radio category. One of the micro:bits would act as the controller, sending messages to the others (maybe using group codes so that you can talk to a specific micro:bit directly).

I only have one micro:bit at the moment, but I’m looking forward to giving this one a try!

Thanks AlexK. I was figuring I would use the Radio category but your comment about using one as the controller was helpful. As usual, I was making things more complicated and your idea of using one as the controller is a good start. Thanks again

1 Like

Just to clarify, I don’t think you have to use a separate micro:bit as a controller, although it may make the logic of the program more clear. One of the micro:bits could serve double-duty as both a traffic light and as a controller. Having a separate controller, though, may make implementation more straightforward.

Definitely share your project(s) with us when you have something! If you’re stuck on something, we’re all happy to help, too.

P.S. Welcome to the forums!

1 Like