We have just updated the MakeCode Arcade beta with a brand new sprite and animation editor! Check it out at the MakeCode Arcade Beta. Currently the new editor is only available in blocks, but we plan to bring it into the Monaco editor soon.
New sprite editor features:
- Zoom: Use the mouse wheel or the buttons in the bottom right of the editor to zoom; large images are now much easier to edit!
- Pan Tool: Use the pan tool (the hand icon) to move the canvas around inside of the editor.
- Canvas Resizing: Now you can resize the canvas to any size instead of cycling through presets. You can even lock the aspect ratio!
- Bigger and Responsive: The new sprite editor takes over the entire workspace and resizes to fit your screen.
- Foreground and Background: You can set a foreground color and a background color. Right click to use the background color or click the color preview above the palette to swap.
- New Keyboard Shortcuts: We’ve aligned our keyboard shortcuts with those used by other image editors. See the table at the bottom of this post for a complete list.
- New Design: We’ve refreshed the overall look and feel with new icons, layout, and theme.
In addition to editing Sprites, the new editor can also be used for creating animations. To get started, add the “Animation” extension to your project and use the “animate frames” block.
Animation editor features:
- Frame Timeline: View the frames of your animation on the right and drag the active frame to change its position in the timeline. You can also delete, duplicate, and create new frames here.
- Animation Preview: Preview your animation with the animating image in the top-right of the editor or by hovering over the block in your program.
- Show Previous Frame: Click the “Show previous frame” button in the bottom bar to show the previous frame underneath the current frame.
Try it out and let us know what you think! As always, file any bugs or feature requests over in the Arcade GitHub Repo.
|Paint||b OR p|
|Zoom out||- OR _|
|Zoom in||+ OR =|