[Beta] not saving/restoring Sprites and tiles correctly

I am using Beta, and I was starting a new small project (Blocks), also I save the project to Github. I has happened me almost every time I import the project to another computer (*), the sprites are like all mixed. What I mean is that sometimes the “mySprite” get’s all transparent after importing the project, other times, it gets the same sprite as the enemy,… Is there any reported issue of “sprite” mixing up in Arcade Beta?

This is my project in Github, as I saved it, the hero should be sprites.castle.heroWalkFront3, but right now I am importing it and it creates a Monkey sprite for the Hero :frowning: instead of sprites.castle.heroWalkFront3.

*: I should mention, in the computer I am at right now, I first delete any previous version of the same game, then I import it.

It also happens if I try to import it to a Incognito session with no projects in MCA (I’m using Chrome).

The thing is I can see the sprite saved in the repo is the correct one (see https://github.com/adumont/plat1/blob/eb8ba75e86151e844ba3420279a107622662b691/main.ts#L116, you can recognize from the code it’s not the Monkey sprite but heroWalkFront3), so I wonder if there’s any bug (in beta) regarding the loading of assets from repos?

This is the repo: https://github.com/adumont/plat1/commit/eb8ba75e86151e844ba3420279a107622662b691

BTW I realize it was a mistake to use beta to start this project (TBH I don’t even know why I started it in Beta in the first place). Is there any way to backport the project back so I can reopen it with MCA stable? I see MCA stable doesn’t recognize the assets.* objects :frowning: (I can handle having modifying javascript code to backport it if the changes aren’t much, but I’d like to be able to switch back to blocks after).

It sounds like you’re probably running into https://github.com/microsoft/pxt-arcade/issues/2905 / https://github.com/microsoft/pxt-arcade/issues/2894, someone is looking into that right now :slight_smile:

We don’t have a way to downgrade to previous versions unfortunately. It’d be possible to manually fix it (effectively just copying and pasting from the assets files back inline into the js), but that’d be incredibly tedious for any nontrivial project – I would suggest just waiting for the moment & switching it to live when the current beta (+ fixes for outstanding bugs) becomes the stable site again (hint, hint in case you’re worried that will take a while)

2 Likes

Yes, that’s likely the same issue. As it’s a starting project I will try to recreate it in Stable I think. Besides assets, I can copy paste most of the code. I have also found I can replace assets.tilename into myTiles.name. I am recreating all the assets though (not many anyway). I had the impression the tilemap files were a bit different (like multiple levels with names in the Beta one) so I didn’t try to copy/paste the files from one to another.

I just fixed this issue, but it’s not in beta yet. I think it’s probably a good idea to wait until everything settles into stable.