Block Menu acting up

Why is this not working? Thanks!

2 Likes

I think the reset game block at the bottom of the on menu option selected block is causing problems. I pulled that out and the game runs much better, from what I can tell. Maybe you can explain exactly what is going wrong, if that’s not the issue.

P.S… Jaw dropping art.

2 Likes

The reset game block was used to update the images after selling a part and removing it from the “OwnedParts” array (press B to open the menu, then sell part). I removed it and manually called the functions “UpdateStats”, “UpdateSubDisplay”, and “UpdateTextDisplay”. It works fine for a bit, then goes weird again. To be clear, It suddenly says, “are you sure you want to restart?”, which only is supposed to happen when you ask to restart.

I am not completely sure how the BlockMenu extension works, but this is what I noticed. When I started debugging the game, I could open the menu with B, choose various options and eventually close the menu with “Cancel”. However, when I was moving the submarine around, it then started calling the ‘on menu option selected’ block function (I put a breakpoint at the first if statement). In the BlockMenu I noticed there is a ‘set controls enabled’ method. When I added that to the ‘B’ event, I had set that to false, but then I could not move the menu options. I set that method to ‘true’ after opening the menu, and to ‘false’ again when selecting ‘Cancel’.

The menu no longer appears while playing, so I think this may be the fix. Otherwise you could check with @richard, as he made the extension.

BTW: the options when asking to restart are barely visible. Otherwise, again, you have made a really good game and I like how the submarines shoot each other. Being able to select different submarines and parts is quite unique.

It may be how it’s nested in the if statement? I had a hard time with the menu blocks sequences.

Thanks! This really helps! I forgot to add that block.

Yes, I plan to change the palette to fix that.

1 Like