Cabinet with raspberry pi -- ran out of disk space

Hey guys. My students made an arcade cabinet powered by a raspberry pi zero. Everything has been going great, however we have run out of disk space.

Whenever I try to drag a uf2 over it says that it is out of space. So far we have loaded about 32MBs of my students 40ish MBs of games. This is confusing since there is a 32GB card in there.

It is also really sad because I was hoping to be able to also load all of next semester’s students on to the cabinet also. So I’d need around 100MB of space for games. Is there anything I can do?

Here is a picture of it in our hallway. The kids flock around it every class exchange. It has turned a lot of students into programmers.

1 Like

Hmmm… How are you transferring the games? Are you using a usb cable or just putting them onto the SD card?

If dragging over USB is failing, it might be easier to load them straight onto the SD card

@peli is there an easy way to get the elf file for the game?

I’ve been dragging them over using a usb cable.

1 Like

Not sure if this online .elf download link generator could help with anything?:
https://vegz78.github.io/McAirpos/

Though, it is not batch capable, nor does it work with UF2 files(yet)…

that might work! i wish i had a raspberry pi around to test, but i don’t have one at home. i’ll see if i can get someone to give it a shot in the office tomorrow

I did some testing and have more information to share. Here is what I did:

1. Connected my USB to my pi0 and had windows look at the bootloader drive that pops up. It had 0 free of 30MB. It was formatted as FAT. Weird.

2. I pulled the SD out and put it in my laptop. Windows said I had plenty of GBs left on it and it was formatted as FAT32

3. I backed up the prj folder with all the .elf files and then emptied the folder on the SD card

4. SD card went back into the raspberry pi zero. I booted the arcade cabinet. There were no games listed in the menu. I connected my USB cord to it. Now the boot drive said 30MB free of 30M (still FAT).

5. I copied over the remaining games my students programmed

6. I pulled out the SD card and put it into my laptop. I merged my backed-up prj folder with the one on the SD card and put it back into the raspberry pi

7. All the games were listed, but only the new ones worked. The rest sent me to a BlackSOD

8. I connected my USB cable to the pi. The boot drive now said 0 free of 30MB. Looking in the folder where all the .uf2 files go (I think it was called Projects) there were only a few files with odd characters for names. I am guessing corruption.

9. I rebooted my pi and disconnected the cord. Everything worked as magic. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So kinda a work around? Maybe my SD card is just… bad? IDK.

1 Like