Microsoft MakeCode

How do I add levels in a top-down spaceshooter game?

I’ve got a project in stem and he instructed us to make a game with the following aspects:

• All visual elements - sprites, environments, etc are scratch-made (no gallery items) by you.
  • Should be a completely original game (title, characters, elements) and not a copy or recreation of an existing game.
  • Should have measurable objectives (keep score, level up, etc. )
  • Should have at least 4 distinct (i.e. unique from each other) levels.
  • Should have sound effects and an opening music sequence.

I am doing a top-down space invader (galga) type genre for this project and I have the basics down. I did a starting sequence animation, tracked the velocity and position of my enemyList and playerShip, even animated the tail of the playerShip and more. My question is how do I add unique levels to this game. It would seem simple to add levels in a platformer as you can set the player to teleport after reaching an endpoint of that certain level, though you can’t do that with galga. If you know the answer please tell me and I would appreciate your help if you tried, thank you all.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forum!

A level could be “finished” when you reach a certain number of points. Each level could introduce new enemies.

Just an idea.

I was just gonna say that

1 Like

Although if it’s based on Galaga, then it wouldn’t be original. :confused:

Let me correct myself, it is going to be a Action type space game. My sprites aren’t going to be like Galga’s sprites. Like Vince states, “Action games are just that—games where the player is in control of and at the center of the action, which is mainly comprised of physical challenges players must overcome. Most early video games like Donkey Kong and Galaga fall into the action category.”

3 Likes

Ah, that makes more sense.

You want to make a game like Galaga but your own?

Kind of, I am just making a space shooter game.

Ahhhh… thats what u meant. OK!!

1 Like

Wanna do the Hard way or the easy way of making the game with waves/levels?

Easy: keep adding space thugs by each wave
Hard: making boss battles and stuff that is going to be hard to do

2 Likes

I’m sorry if this sounds horrifying

2 Likes

I was possibly thinking of doing different space thugs for round 1 2 3 and then at four is the boss battle, kind of like the original super mario bros.

2 Likes

Hmmm… Let me thnk about that.

haha totally okay

1 Like

This is my first time coding with makecode arcade and I have been messing around with some functions but can’t possibly think of how I can make the player spawn into another level once met a required amount of enemy kills. I’ve been looking at this snippet for some guidance: image

3 Likes

Oh wow!! That is a lot, and you said it was your first time?

1 Like

Do you have some working code that you can share? Share the project and paste the link in this discussion.

1 Like

I would have a certain enemy sprite at the end of each “wave” or “level” and on that sprite destroyed, call a function. The function should use an array for each level and every time that function is called, make your array go up one.
(Sorry for the scatter-brained gibberish)

1 Like

very interesting, i was told when a certain number of spriteEnemies are killed, I skip to the next level or when the score hits a certain number, this sounds much planned out I will see if I can make it.

1 Like

Hi All, question
How can I level up, en Galaga type of game. I used a condition if score = 20, change level by1, but it doesnt change level. (tried with forever and game update, tried a few things, didnt change level thouhg)