How To Attach Makecode Typescript To Virtual Studio

This is sort of a funny question but, I want to import Typescript o Virtual Studio. Anybody Know How or if that’s even possible?

2 Likes

Visual Studio Code is automatically supported out of the box by the pxt program, you could possibly try that? (disclaimer: I never used it before, so I have no idea, but the description appears to suggest it can do that)

It is possible to use the tools from the pxt command line interface (CLI). pxt can:

• Edit, compile or deploy JavaScript programs.
  • Easily integrate into most IDEs. It comes with built-in support for Visual Studio Code.
  • Run a local web server for the web editor.
  • Author extensions using JavaScript and/or C++.

Using the PXT CLI assumes that you have some experience with programming and will require installation of additional tools on your machine.

Never heard of “Virtual Studio” before though, do you mean Visual Studio?

3 Likes

Uhh- what is Virtual Studio again? Did you mean Visual studio?

2 Likes

@JavaDoodle it sure is! It will require to use the terminal, however. If that doesn’t scare you off, here are the steps you can use:

1. Install https://nodejs.org/en/
  2. Open the terminal of your choice
  3. Install the makecode CLI:
    npm install makecode -g
  4. Navigate to the folder where you want to create your project:
    cd path/to/directory/
  5. Create your project:
    makecode init arcade
  6. Install your dependencies:
    makecode install
  7. Open VSCode:
    code .
  8. Start the makecode simulator:
    makecode serve
  9. In a browser, open up the url that is printed in the console (http://127.0.0.1:7001)

Now you can code your project in vscode and every time you save a file, the game in the browser will automatically refresh.

5 Likes

ooof, we should update those docs. The makecode CLI is much, much, easier to use than the pxt one

4 Likes

yep… typing error sorry.

1 Like

Woah. That is a confusing process.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s mainly targeted at professional devs right now. I’m working on making it easier, though!

4 Likes

can i do this in Linux?

1 Like

yup! sure can!

1 Like