I’m a computer science teacher. This year, we are using MakeCode for the first time. During the last 10 years, we used Lejos, Mindsqualls and Monobrick. We switched for MakeCode because of the JavaScript.
Here is my problem, we have 24 EV3 bricks with NXT sensors and motors. We only upgraded our bricks since the motors and sensor were still working fine. Unfortunately, NXT sensors don’t work with MakeCode. The motors are working perfectly with the ev3 brick.
Is it a documented bug? My code is working in the simulator.
We do not have official support for the NXT sensors. It seems that those are either analog or I2C sensors but we haven’t done any work to support them.
We do not have cycles planned to support these sensors for now. Support for generic I2C sensors we added previously, so it should be possible to support those (either i2c or analog). Probably not before a few months.
The HiTechnic Color Sensor v2 is currently supported in MakeCode via an extension, but the source code is outdated. I’ve developed a full-fledged extension for the BrickCode fork.
BrickCode now supports LEGO NXT Touch and Sound Sensor. They are added in extensions.
I plan to add all the LEGO NXT sensors. Also, an ultrasonic sensor. A temperature sensor. I don’t have a color sensor yet. I know there’s an IR sensor, but I don’t think I’ll be able to find it.
I’m also planning to create extensions to support HiTechnic sensors: compass, barometer, IR, and gyroscope. I have them already. I also have an EOPD sensor, but the EV3 itself, as far as I understand, doesn’t work with it. It switches off and on even in PortView, meaning the system doesn’t recognize it.