Microsoft MakeCode

Meowbit not connecting and 909 error

I have my Meowbit connected through USB to my laptop that’s running Windows 10. When I turn on the Meowbit, it goes right into the preloaded game- I never see the option for programming mode that I have read about. My computer is not recognizing that it is connected.

Most of the time when I click the lower side button on the Meowbit, I get the frowny-face 909 error. Only a few times have I actually seen the menu show up.

Is there a way to reset it? Any advice for updating it so that I can load a game onto it?

Welcome, @cak!

My initial guess is that you’re using a power-only USB cable and not a data cable. Try a different cable and see if that helps.

According to another thread, if the Meowbit does not recognize that it’s connected to a computer within a second, it presumes it’s running off of the battery and loads the last game loaded onto the device. A new bootloader, also found in that thread, lengthens that delay.

Keep us posted. Good luck!

1 Like

That was it! I didn’t realize charge-only cables were a thing. I got a new cable and was able to download my game. Thank you @AlexK!

2 Likes

Yup, charge only cables are evil :frowning:

1 Like

I get this error as well, I have tried 2 Windows 10 PC’s. What is the 909 error?
I have tried 2 cables, I can see “ARCADE-F4” in file explorer, How to I connect to program it?

If you can see ARCADE-F4 in Windows Explorer, then your device is probably connected properly. Click Download in the MakeCode Arcade editor, or save your project as an image file and use Windows Explorer to copy the image to the ARCADE-F4 drive.