Microsoft MakeCode

Presenting: Minos

OK … I couldn’t resist. I had to create another classic game. :slight_smile: This week, I present: Minos. It plays well on my BrainPad Arcade, too!

Minos is a shape-stacking game in the spirit of Tetris®. You can choose from a set of tetrominoes (four-block shapes), pentominoes (five-block shapes), or both. You also can choose your starting level, which affects how quickly blocks drop at the beginning of the game.

Shapes begin at the top of the well. Use the left, right, and down buttons to move the shapes within the well. Up will rotate the shape. Pressing the A button will activate auto-drop, which causes the shape to fall rapidly to the bottom of the well. Filled lines will clear, and shapes drop more quickly as you clear lines and level-up. The game continues until a shape cannot be dropped from the top of the well.

The game’s name, Minos, is a bit of a play on words. It’s derived from the word polyominoes, which is the generic term for shapes formed by combining squares. Minos - as in the first King Minos - also is a legendary figure from Greek mythology. King Minos was the first king of Crete, and was the son of Zeus and Europa.

Feel free to alter the constants, found both in main.ts and in custom.ts, to customize the game to your liking. In particular, you may want to change the COLUMNS, ROWS, and BLOCK_SIZE constants to alter the size and shape of the well.

Tetris® is a registered trademark of The Tetris Company.

Happy Friday! Have fun!

See all of my MakeCode Arcade games and extensions here!

9 Likes

Works with Adafruit Pygamer…if you are in beta editor and IMPORT the game. Not a good video but just to prove it. Thanks Alex K, for the game ! and Lady Ada for the Pygamer console: https://youtu.be/8ROgjx-D0TI

3 Likes

awesome game!!

2 Likes

um, improve it please because i keep getting game over for no reason. i swear i did not stack it to the top.

I had a quick play in the simulator, it’s a good rendition of the game.

Did you try to make this purely in block-based MakeCode first?

1 Like

Thanks, @kjw! As I was creating my vision of the game, I realized that it was going to be simpler for me to write the game in JavaScript.

Tetris® clones, though, have been written in many different programming languages. A simpler version of the game probably could be written in Blocks, although it will be pretty challenging. Definitely possible, but you’ll probably have to sacrifice some of the flexibility that I was able to implement in the JavaScript version.

If you’re interested in a walkthrough on how to write a Tetris®-style game, you may find this helpful:

Tetris in HTML5 for noobs

It’s written for HTML5 and JavaScript, but the logic of the game works in any environment. I actually used Drew’s implementation as a starting point for the logic, and then I went off on my own way for quite a bit of the implementation. Drew does a great job of explaining how he created the game, and you slowly build the game as you go through his tutorial.

If anyone decides to go through Drew’s tutorial, feel free to ask questions here if you run into any difficulty when trying to implement something in Blocks.