Microsoft MakeCode

Save Arcade as .uf2?

Does anyone know how we can consistently direct Arcade to save a program as a .uf2 file and not as a .png image? We are having extremely long downloads of Arcade programs to game boards when creating the game on Chromebook . Like 10-25 min. to download. We find that if we can locate the program as .uf2 and copy it to clipbaord then it will download faster by pasting into the correct drive. Usually clicking “save” when making the program saves it as a .png which cannot be pasted into the drive.

You press the “Download” button…

… which downloads the .uf2. This involves a compilation process, which under some conditions will use a cloud compilation to get the binary.

You likely press the “Save” button:

… which will download an image for safe keeping in .png format. This is an action that happens on the local machine.

1 Like

As per gbraad’s summary, I’ve always got exactly the filetype I wanted by pressing the appropriate button. It sounds like something is very wrong somewhere if compilation is taking 10-25 minutes.

One thing I can see is that as the browser windows narrows the layout changes - Download is then above Save which might make it a tiny bit more likely to get the wrong one by accident.

this seems more about Chromebooks than other computer types. With a good internet connection the download takes 3-4 min. from start. Without a connection the time is the same. Clicking “save” always saves as .png. Clicking DOWNLOAD almost never saves. I downloaded 6 different Arcade games to the same BrainPad Arcade using the same chromebook and only one time was the program saved as you can see. My attitude now is that a 3-4 min wait is good experience for our students to appreciate the virtue of patience. The download takes the same amount of time whether “paired device” or not.

Compilation will usually take longer for a download to hardware; we keep the compiler “hot” for the simulator compilation (the initial run should take a similar amount of time, but subsequent runs should be much faster). Downloading requires us to redo the compile for the specific hardware so we have to start from scratch. Internet connection shouldn’t play much of a factor, but CPU and memory of the computer will.

If you are seeing a lot of performance issues on chromebooks, you might want to try out beta for now (arcade.makecode.com/beta). We have been making a lot of performance improvements recently that haven’t made it to non-beta yet. Mostly the editor should load much faster now.

Is there anyway to get a timestamped verbose log of the compilation to work out where the time is being spent in that 3-4 minutes?

My desktop is from 2013 and compiling a fairly complex game just took 32 seconds in Chrome.

After I did that Falling Duck on the home page compiled in 20 seconds. @frank_schmidt - how long does Falling Duck take to compile for you?