The Phoenix's Quest

@Lucas_M and I present to you our 2021 MakeCode Arcade Climate Crisis game jam submission!

Features:

• Save system with 3 available slots.
  • Level selector.
  • A storyline consisting of 12 action-packed levels.
  • Epic (and insanely hard) boss fight

Controls:

• Arrow keys to move left and right.
  • Up arrow key to jump.
  • A to hit.
  • B to dash away from your enemies.

Enjoy!

Tell me if you beat the final boss fight lol :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

Wow!!! Incredible work, you guys! I loooved the final boss fight, that was so so fun and this game is so polished and well-written from start to finish. The title screen looks phenomenal (and the little floating dust mote effects! So atmospheric!) and all of the character and level art is great, of course. I especially love the design of the phoenix, it looks like an awesome Mayan glyph or something like that.

The level design is so smart and well-balanced too–the progression from “speedrunning” trash pickup to fighting your way through the same level to a boss fight is really satisfying. I like that the fight mechanic changed for the final boss too, the smoke boss took me forever and I was so afraid of the last one–which DID take me even longer to beat but was an exciting change of pace from the previous combat! Loved this game!

3 Likes

Wow – like @shakao said – incredible work!

The dust/fireflies is so beautiful. And so are the woods, and the character. Is there an extension for adding speaker labels to speech bubbles, or did you do that yourselves? Felt really special seeing my name in the game (seriously, it’s silly, but it works!)

Bravo!

3 Likes

I like the game (also nice name). I’m interested in how you implemented a world map, as it is super hard to make a world map in makecode (if you have time, can you do a quick explanation on how to implement a world map and how to assign data to signs???) I also like the visuals, sprites, and level design (and the shader at the beginning). One thing I noticed is that you can get softlocked on the first ice level if you do not kill all of the enemies before getting down to the chest area. I 100% completed the game!

Also, pheonix, cool

2 Likes

wow can you teach me the game mechanics???

Please with a cherry on top

2 Likes

If you want the finale boss fight to be 20% harder use the name progamer and this will appear
arcade-The-Phoenixs-Quest (3)

3 Likes

The text bubbles when characters say stuff is all in the story extension :slight_smile:

1 Like

The world map is just a tilemap with sprites on it and when you click on it the one you selected will be the level number you run. There is a level number stored on the sprite and a variable called max_level which determines the hardest level you can play. Its incremented everytime you beat a new level.

2 Likes

The first and second levels and the first post in this topic will tell the controls and how to play :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Amazing I love it

1 Like

I can’t seem to get pass level 7 can you help please?

Make sure you checked the clouds by jumping on the pink tiles!

1 Like

jump on the pink blocks

2 Likes

Ok thanks for the help I will try again.

2 Likes

The code is fantastic I love it but maybe you could add some suspenseful music in the boss and wildfire battel. Also how do you defeat the wildfire?

2 Likes

@UnsignedArduino was going to add music but we forgot and ran out of time to put the music in the game. And beating wildfire just survive.

2 Likes

I did make some music for it but I didn’t think it would sound good so we didn’t add any. Also for Wildfire, I’m pretty sure you just have to not die and dodge everything. (Not actually sure cause I never beat him lol)

ok then thanks for the response

1 Like

How did you do all the coding so well can you teach me how?

Through lots and lots of coding :slight_smile: which is the equivalent of lots of practice.

Watching the MSMakeCode Twitch stream every workday at 1 PM PST also helps as well :smiley:

3 Likes