What's the best makecode hardware like meowbit or brainpad?

can yall tell me what is the best makecode hardware because i wanna put my games in them and also i don’t know which one because i have never seen or used one irl and also i haven’t seen any websites where i can buy them so pls

The Adafruit PyGamer and PyBadge varients (regular, low cost, and with mic version) have more RAM (and are faster) than a STM32[?] like a Meowbit.

You can also use a Raspberry Pi which will be much faster - you can buy them on Amazon or from an approved reseller (products here) but is pretty complicated to set up.

What is the difference between the multiple PyBadge varients?

The PyBadge (regular) is well, the regular version.
The PyBadge LC (which stands for low cost) has some hardware removed to make it cheaper, like the accelerometer and some of the Neopixels. The PyBadge LC still uses the same chip as the regular version.
The EdgeBadge is the same thing[?] as the regular PyBadge but it comes with a mic on board. It was released because Tensorflow Lite (Tensorflow is for machine learning, aka AI) for Arduino (C++ but for microcontrollers) was released and Adafruit wanted to make a board to showcase it. (I swear they design new products in their sleep) This does not affect your use of MakeCode Arcade.

1 Like

are the xtron pro also good?

1 Like

Seems very good as well, but it’s very expensive, about triple the price of say, a PyGamer.

1 Like

i don’t know well i just checked and they have a sale so ill maybe buy it but i still don’t know

1 Like

also the xtron pro because you can turn it into a watch you can make it smaller there is a timer the wifi ting and all that

1 Like

@girlwhocode the problem with the Xtron Pro is that you have to get it straight from the supplier, Ovobot, since it isn’t even on Amazon or Ebay, so unless you’re prepared to pay the grand total of $85 + shipping + VAT, it’s not worth it.

Just my views :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

ok well i still don’t know which one it’s such a hard decision because i just wanna get one that works well so i can put my games in them but there’s just so much hardware!

1 Like

Solution: Play on your computer on the browser :joy:

Easy setup / ok price: PyGamer/PyBadge/Meowbit
Very fast / complicated to set up: Raspberry Pis

lol ok but still i prefer to buy the hardware well i think ima get the py gamer

1 Like

ugh the pygamers are out of stock

2 Likes

Yea It’s never fun when something is out of stock :confused: but Adafruit has a reputation of restocking quickly :slight_smile:

1 Like

also the meobit is a ok and the price but the screen is too small and the controls also look kinda small and also because i was seeing some people who have had the meowbit and they said it didn’t work too much because it was old but that’s because it was old

1 Like

Yes @girlwhocode, the meowbit is a bit too on the low-spec side as well, since it doesn’t have much storage and also can crash a lot. The meowbit is designed for small games and I would recommend at least a Pygamer or a Pybadge, maybe a Kitronik Arcade, or even a Raspberry Pi (if you’re willing to spend a lot).

What's the Kitronik Arcade?

The Kitronik Arcade is another piece of hardware for MakeCode Arcade that is made in the UK, Nottinghamshire. This piece of hardware is in the mid-price section for Arcade tech and costs £35.94/€42.10/$49.69 (Yes, I check the stocks (and yes, I like my stonks :stuck_out_tongue: )). But beware, if you are outside of Europe, you might have the trouble of long shipping times since the pandemic has affected shipping routes.
Here is the list of shippable countries:

• Australia.
  • Brunei.
  • Canada.
  • Chile.
  • Hong Kong.
  • Iceland.
  • Isle of Man.
  • Israel.
  • Japan.
  • Jersey.
  • Malaysia.
  • Mauritius.
  • New Zealand.
  • Qatar.
  • Singapore.
  • Taiwan.
  • U.A.E.
  • United States.
  • Uruguay.

(UK is not included since this is shipping, if you live in the UK, you can get a delivery).

@girlwhocode check Digikey for Pygamer. They have the starter kits for $60.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/adafruit-industries-llc/4277/10313912

2 Likes

I have the Xtron Pro and can recommend it. …it is really small though