[Announcement] MakeCode Arcade Mini Game Jam #2 - Simulation Jam!

Hey folks!

The theme for the second-ever MakeCode Arcade Mini Game Jam is Simulation Games!

That’s right! We’re looking for games that simulate some sort of job, task, or life cycle. You can interpret that theme any way you like, but it should be obvious how your game relates to the theme without any extra explanation.

Some examples of classic interpretations of this theme are:

1. A virtual pet game like Tamagotchi, Neko Atsume, or Nintendogs
  2. A gardening or farming game like Viva Piñata, Harvest Moon, or Stardew Valley
  3. A job simulating game like PowerWash Simulator, Cooking Mama, or Wilmot’s Warehouse

The thing you’re simulating doesn’t need to be real, but that isn’t an excuse for ignoring the theme.

For example, simulating a job in an alien world at a starship mechanic shop is totally okay!

“Simulating” a job where all you do is jump between platforms and stomp on turtles or pilot a spaceship that fires at lines of enemies is not okay.

Rules

1. Games should be built in MakeCode Arcade
  2. Games should clearly adhere to the theme without the need for any extra explanation
  3. Keep the games PG: no NSFW, offensive, or excessively violent content.
  4. You must be at least 9 years old to participate.
  5. All games must be submitted by someone who is at least 13 years old. Younger students are welcome to participate, but it must be in partnership with an adult and with parent permission.

To submit your games, head on over to this thread: [Announcement] MakeCode Arcade Mini Game Jam #2 - Submission thread!

You have one week to enter! The jam will close at 11:59 PM PDT on Monday, July 25th 2022

9 Likes

Cool! Sadly I won’t be able to work on a project for this (unless I throw something together on Saturday) because I’m at an Arduino engineering camp. I can’t wait to see what the MakeCode community comes up with though!

2 Likes

This is neat! Can’t wait to get started.

1 Like

Oh, and I forgot to mention that we will be playing all of our favorite submissions on the MakeCode arcade livestream next week! Happy jamming!

3 Likes

Wow tiles would have been really good for this

2 Likes

DO i send my submission here?

would simulating a job as a bounty hunter (e.g. samus from metroid) be allowed :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@SoftTalker here is the submission thread: [Announcement] MakeCode Arcade Mini Game Jam #2 - Submission thread!

3 Likes

Any one finished there game yet?

2 Likes

I started working on it

1 Like

Mines is like half way finished.

1 Like

:flushed:Sneak Peak

5 Likes

My game is maybe 80% done, but traditionally the last 20% take 80% of the time. It’s a bit slow going since I don’t have a computer with me, so I’m developing on a Steam Deck…

3 Likes

I finished my game! Just adding a little extra polish now…

3 Likes

but isn’t it worth it for the gamer cred

3 Likes

I’ve made… The terrain generator for my game… Yeah, I just started today (7/22/22)

3 Likes

Doing decent, having a little problem with exponential notations. But other then that, all good :+1:

3 Likes