[Announcement] MakeCode Arcade Ocean Jam

Your votes are in and the theme for this jam is “ocean”! We’re looking for games about oceans, beaches, or marine life. Here are some examples of how you could use this theme:

1. A deep sea exploration game where you pilot a remote submarine that’s searching for shipwrecks
  2. A surfing game where you do sick stunts to impress a panel of judges
  3. A game where you play as the moon and control the tides to guide ships to shore

You can interpret “ocean” however you want, but someone playing your game should be able to see how it relates to the theme without extra explanation.

2020-08-27 12.27.46 2020-08-28 14.17.38 2020-08-27 16.24.31

This time the jam will run from Monday, November 30th to Friday, December 11th . For you procrastinators out there, we will accept games up until 11:59 PM PT on December 11th.

For full rules and submission details, check out the official game jam page.

11 Likes

The title art is so pretty!!

7 Likes

I agree!

5 Likes

Me: Thinking about what game to make
My Mind: Ooh this is going to be good. I can’t wait
Me: My mind is going all over the place.
My Mind: I heard that

3 Likes

I just draw sprites until I like the look of them and then I come up with a game lol

2 Likes

im looking forward to the games

2 Likes

Would an RPG-like game work for the jam if it takes place underwater?

4 Likes

Why not?

2 Likes

I mean it’s a bit fantasy-like and the only thing I see relating this idea to the jam is the fact that it’s underwater with some sea creatures! So I want to make sure yknow?

2 Likes

I think it would be fine. I’m excited to see it when its finished!

2 Likes

Then I’ll be making it! Thank you:D

3 Likes

I’m so excited about this Jam that I wanted to share a sneak preview… if that is OK. :blush:

9 Likes

oooo nice, can’t wait to play it!

2 Likes

OOOOOOOOOOH wow. the graphics look so cool so far. The colors and the game itself has a lot of decoration to it

2 Likes

A little update to this:
I forgot how long rpgs may take and i’m a bit worried that I might not finish in time for the Jam! Should I try and just finish the code and story so it’s playable even though some art/side things might not be complete?

Maybe this would be cheating, but you could submit a Github pages URL, which will remain the same even if you keep creating releases, which would rebuild pages and therefore run the latest code. But they probably don’t want you to do this though…

That is an interesting idea… But i’m going to have to ask the makecode team cause I don’t wanna get in trouble :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Haha yeah, we will collect all the games at the deadline for judging so for the purposes of the game jam, we would take whatever version exists at that time–but you should feel free to keep working on your game even after the game jam is over. We always love seeing your guys’ work!

And yeah, your plan sounds like a good one! On streams, our approach finishing stuff under time pressure is to make sure we have a win condition and a lose condition–even if the rest of the game isn’t AS complete, at least there’s something folks can play. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

4 more days! I’m so excited to see what everyone has made!

Has no one submitted anything yet? I don’t see anything…

2 Likes

Ah! That’s on us haha, we’ve been a little swamped this week so no one’s updated the gallery yet. Will try to get something up tomorrow!

3 Likes