Microsoft MakeCode

[Announcement] MakeCode Arcade Traffic Jam

Hey folks!

Today we are announcing the fourth official MakeCode Arcade Game Jam! The theme for this jam is “traffic”. In other words, we’re looking for games about cars, roads, or travel! Some examples of games might include:

1. A delivery service game where you need to find the fastest route through a city to your destination
  2. A game where you helm an air traffic control tower and guide planes between landing strips
  3. An ant simulator where you lay trail pheromones to establish efficient routes between picnic food and an anthill

You can interpret “traffic” however you want, but someone playing your game should be able to see how it relates to the theme without extra explanation.

2020-08-27 12.27.46 2020-08-28 14.17.38 2020-08-27 16.24.31

This time the jam will run from Monday, September 14th to Monday, October 5th . For you procrastinators out there, we will accept games up until 11:59 PM PT on October 5th.

For full rules and submission details, check out the official game jam page.

11 Likes

YAY!! I’ve been waiting for this!!

1 Like

Also @richard, nice traffic jam gif

1 Like

Yay! Looks fun.

Is that center game gif a real makecode arcade game? I’m very curious to check out the implementation of that one! Just this week my son was asking for suggestions about how to make an F-Zero type game, and I started explaining SNES mode 7 hardware support, and how I thought it might be difficult to replicate a similar behavior in arcade. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I think it is @jacob_c, I think I’ve seen it on the forum once.

2 Likes

Yup it’s one of Michal’s,

2 Likes

Ha! And @richard’s comment on that thread is a link to an explanation of Mode 7. :smile:

2 Likes

@Dreadmask197 the traffic jam gif is by @shakao!

6 Likes

Really good at coloring and all the effects. It must’ve took her a long time

2 Likes

Nice gif!

2 Likes

How do you make your car or veicle move continuously like in the game. Raptor Run. And how do you make it that you keep on getting points every like 500 milla seconds. Sorry, new to programming.

1 Like

In games like raptor run, the raptor doesn’t move. The background moves behind it. You can do this using projectiles coming from the side. I suggest viewing the raptor run code.

1 Like

People could change the raptor to a car actually

1 Like

Really hoping I can get my show together and enter this as my first game jam ever. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Can I enter a game right now?
Here is mine https://makecode.com/_P060Dm5o34c9

1 Like

Submissions officially open on Monday, and you can submit your game then!

1 Like

OK Thanks :grin:

1 Like

Same! I am so exited!!!

This is my first game jam too. I joined when the garden jam was closing for submissions

1 Like