Microsoft MakeCode

[Announcement] May 2021 MakeCode Arcade Game Jam

Announcing the next MakeCode Arcade Game Jam!

This time, the theme we’ve chosen is ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?!

That’s right! We’re keeping this one a secret. We’ll be announcing the theme and full rules a week before the jam starts on this forum. Make sure you check back in!

But what’s a game jam?

This is a fun competition where you can pit your game development skills against others to build a game using MakeCode Arcade, a game engine for retro pixel-art games that run in the browser or on handheld game devices.

Duration

The game jam will run from May 3, 2021 to May 17, 2021

You will have roughly two weeks to build and submit your games for the competition! For you procrastinators out there, we will accept games up until 11:59pm on May 17th.

No experience needed!

Never programmed in Microsoft MakeCode Arcade before? No problem! Check out our game maker guide to learn the basics of making a game!

Rules

1. Games should be built in MakeCode Arcade
  2. Your game must relate to the jam theme. Someone playing your game should be able to see how it relates to the theme without extra explanation.
  3. Keep the games PG: no NSFW, offensive, or excessively violent content.
  4. You must be at least 9 years old to participate.
  5. All games must be submitted by someone who is at least 13 years old. Younger students are welcome to participate, but it must be in partnership with an adult and with parent permission.

Speculate Together

Use this forum to chat with other coders as well as the MakeCode team! What do you think the theme will be? We might even drop some hints along the way…

Also make sure you check out the winners of our past jams!

13 Likes

Yay a new game jam!

1 Like

im excited

Hear me out…this may be weird. BUT, what if the game jam’s theme will be “?” or “mystery” or something similar?

2 Likes

We all love a new jam, I’ll try to make a game for it too!

THIS IS MY FIRST GAME JAM YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! :smile:

2 Likes

What if the game jam is about jam :astonished:

3 Likes

20 days is too long for my patience!

Also, forget game theorists when you can just theorize about the next Arcade Game Jam!

1 Like

54lxpq

5 Likes

this is also my first time ha!

2 Likes

A real speculation of life

1 Like

same lol

Same, I haven’t been part of the community for that long

1 Like

Sorry for being inactive for a few months. But I am defin.itely joining the jam

4 Likes

So no blood at all? or just a little and not too much?

My first game jam ever! I cant wait!

what are game jams about like is it just us make a theme game or something

@Colethewolf a game jam is a theme based competition where a theme is placed and people have to create games based off of the theme and the best one wins!

2 Likes