Frogging Fun

I finally figured out how animations work, and have put them into my latest release of my #game Frogging Fun.

In the coming versions I want add move enemies and change their speeds. Please let me know if you have more ideas or tips on programming it better. I hope you all enjoy it.

3 Likes

YAY. I love this version of frogger!

1 Like

Thank you. It is sometimes challenging getting the animations to work, but once it does, it is worth it and fun to make.

3 Likes

If you make no mistakes, you made nothing. Challenges are going to appear in life a lot. Never played frogger before, but I have played Frogging Fun. I’m starting to get the feeling that frogger is the most challenging arcade game I think I ever played.

4 Likes

Frogger is hard for me. I’m pretty sure it is the bane of my existence.

3 Likes

Love this game, animations are great, especially the turtles! :turtle:

3 Likes

Are you playing on a mobile phone or a computer? I found that on a phone, it is almost impossible to play as the simulator does not react well to ‘single press’ movement. When I push forward it goes right, and pushing right goes forward, etc.

1 Like

Did you draw that using a grey scale palette? It is really amazing.

1 Like

I am trying to make it as close to the original, at least in game play at least. Just like Pac-Man, it is one of the most popular games made (for its time) and one of the most copied. I had to laugh when my sons saw the game for the first time and thought I was ‘ripping off’ Crossy Road. :joy:

1 Like

That’s really funny. Honestly, though, Frogger is almost like Crossy Road except, it’s infinite. Frogger has a goal or a finish line. It’s close to Crossy Road but not exactly. Crossy road is a “today” game and frogger is an 80’s game I believe. It’s almost the same but with Crossy Road, there are so many more features than Frogger. Maybe you can add power-ups or something to the game. It would be really cool though because you can add power-ups and stuff and longer courses might be cool to. This is a great game!

2 Likes

Ah, I wish I could claim ownership. I learned of it’s existence in YouTube video memes.

1 Like

Feel free to change the game in any way you want. You might want to have the player shoot at certain enemies that spawn across the screen. Shooters are always fun.

2 Likes

Mobile

I asked Richard if there was a way to determine whether the game is being played on a mobile phone or a computer; he said that distinction is not made. That is really a pity, as the game is impossible to play on a touch screen. You need to use the arrow keys in order to get accurate movement. If I could check that a phone is being used, then I would spawn less cars.

I suppose I could do that anyway, have more space between the cars and make them faster.

2 Likes

I hope you like this version better. After level 1 the turtles start to disappear. You can stay on them for a while, but be quick before they dive under water. You would think that a frog can swim in water, but this one forgot how. In the next version I want to introduce a snake that appears at level 3.

Please let me know what you think, whether the game is too hard/too easy and what you also might like to see/do in the game. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Where is SET TILE?
Hi, I am fairly new to arcade…I have seen SET TILE in these advanced games and the documentation…

But if I create a new game (in Chrome), the Color-coded Tilemap options do not appear in the Scene Drawer.

What is the magic to make Set Tile available?

Thanks

@MrHM, it’s an extension. Right before the release of Arcade, they revamped the tilemap interface so you could have more than 16 tiles, etc.

If you really want the old tilemap interface, you can use the color-coded tilemaps extension.

It’s really useful using colors for platforms! @MrHM

Thank you! I teach middle schoolers game design and we have switched to arcade during remote. Really enjoying it. I will play with both approaches to see which might be easier for them to understand. The color mapping might be one abstraction too far :wink:

2 Likes

I feel the same too. And I have much more than 16 tiles in the game I’m working on. It took me a while to understand that.

1 Like