Microsoft MakeCode

How do i flip sprites?

Any way to flip characters? thanks

1 Like

There’s a block in the images category if that does it if that helps.

If you want to flip it in the sprite editor there isn’t an easy way to do it. When I need to do it, I go to the JavaScript code where the image is stored as a bunch of hex characters where each pixel represents one character. I then copy the lines into a text tool that reverses the order of the lines. Effectively flipping the image vertically. Here is the tool I use.

For flipping horizontally, I transpose the text using this tool, then use the line reversal tool on that output, then feed that output back into the transpose tool to transpose it again. Then paste that output back into the JavaScript (making sure the indentation is the same) and switch back to blocks.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

5 Likes

Thank you for the extensive response! Really helped me, thanks!!

I needed to flip some sprites the other day and ended up manually re-drawing them.

It would be useful to have rotation and symmetry flips in the sprite editor particularly if they use less memory by being in the program and stored in flash memory rather than precious RAM?

For comparison, I see Scratch has flips and arbitrary angle rotation (of any selected area) in its editor.

I believe the plan is to allow for simple rotations (e.g. 90°, 180°, and 270°) and simple horizontal and vertical flipping.

Due to the resolution, color, and canvas size limitations, rotating by other angles isn’t really possible. This gets brought up a lot and here’s a thread where we talked about some solutions.

1 Like