Lore/Story for the Biggest Game

This is the topic that will be used for the lore/story part of the biggest game, as @UnderwaterAstronaut requested as the main topic for this is really blown up.

Feel free to contribute and ideas for this game, and just to start you all off, I’ll give a short summary:

You are on a desolate planet and your spaceship has crashed, you must fix it and fly to other planets in the star system and try to become a better explorer and fighter (while you are going between planets, there might be mercenaries trying to stop you - we are still thinking about this). Also, I’d like to ask @kwx to give us permission to use the amazing Space Rocks 3D for our travels between planets (Link: Space Rocks 3D! - #17 by ggiscool).

Once again, we are looking for art, tilemaps and plain inspiration for the game and would appreciate any related contributions.

2 Likes

Technically, you live on this desolate planet! At least that’s how the lore starts off with but if anyone wants to change that, feel free to mention it!

3 Likes

If anyone wants to add to this lore, along with what I and @UnderwaterAstronaut have said, please feel free to say so!

1 Like

You’re welcome to try, but I don’t think it would be a good idea to do so. The 3D graphics use a lot of RAM, including some persistent data that continues to use up memory even when not active, and it has other side effects such as modifying the palette. It seems it’s already near the limit of what lower-powered hardware such as the Meowbit can deal with. Also, the program is quite messy since it’s the result of ongoing experiments, it’s not intended to be reusable code at this point. While I would be interested in turning the 3D renderer into a more general library suitable for use as an extension at some point, that would take a lot of effort which I don’t currently have time for :-/

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply @kwx. That is fine, we can all wait for the more generic solution as you said:

And also, I don’t think it’d be wise to even attempt the game on a meowbit! I’m thinking using more high-end hardware like Raspberry Pi or the Kitronik Arcade, but I think the minimum piece of hardware that can be used with your simulations and our game (the VERY minimum) would be a PyGamer, but even that would either make a slow and glitchy game or even crash the game. If I were you @kwx, I would try and make different simulations based off of hardware specifications, so that even if you’ve got a Meowbit, the game will work way better with a hardware-specified mode.

Just a suggestion, thanks for the reply!

1 Like

BTW, PyGamer and the Kitronik Arcade have the same base chip. Minimum would probably be Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

:thinking: true @UnsignedArduino but as I said, we should make the game suitable for every piece of hardware or make separate versions for different products and do the same for the space rocks 3D simulator since it has such a large impact on the FPS

1 Like

hey hey hold on, I don’t think it’s a good idea to use 3D for this game and for the traveling. I imagined it to be like top-down for the travel if that makes sense. (if you need, i can make some concept art or something)
and @Primal_Nexus, I appreciate you helping and doing your best, but I’m kinda feeling like you’re taking a little bit of control on stuff that other people are in charge of? Could you maybe like, tell us an idea if you want it to be added and/or ask for stuff? Cause currently, I believe we aren’t exactly looking for art and tilemap inspiration but then again I might be wrong. And personally, I’d like people to suggest lore rather than just adding it on to kind of declutter it because it might end up creating things that don’t go well together or make sense.

2 Likes

Sorry @UnderwaterAstronaut, I was feeling the same way too :worried: :worried: :worried:, I’m just a little new to this forum, and not really the type who likes to work collaboratively (I’m still learning) but I get your point.

Hmm ok then, I was getting hyped up about the Space Rocks sim, but as you said, I’m not the leader.

And speaking of leaders, who should be the leader???

@MopishCobra75 @UnsignedArduino @Agent_14 @LCProCODER @UnderwaterAstronaut @omnisImperium and @Kat?

2 Likes

I had the idea, so does that mean I am the leader :confused:, I said that on among us work in progress

1 Like

None? I think this should just be an open team effort.

1 Like

It’s alright @Primal_Nexus!

and yeah as @MopishCobra75 said, they did start the idea so in some way they are technically the leader

2 Likes

Good idea