Microsoft MakeCode

Scary/horror games on MakeCode Arcade

Are we allowed to make horror games on makecode arcade? Or have games with some horror concepts? I was thinking of the following:

• Slight cartoon gore
  • Just a little blood
  • and Jumpscares

If some of these items are allowed, which ones? And if none of them are allowed or if there’s another idea i missed, please let me know!
Thank you!

2 Likes

I mean, u can obviously make them but IDK if that will go against the code of conduct on the forums if u were to post them. At least put a warning like:

The following game contains explicit material such as:

• Cartoon gore
  • Some blood
  • Jumpscares

This is reminding me of FNaF!

2 Likes

I played FNAF before but then I died mentally after a minute of that game

2 Likes

Maybe @UnderwaterAstronaut, you can make those games but don’t send it here on the forum. It might get flagged for inappropriate images.

1 Like

Hmmmm…just went through the forum’s FAQ and I found this:

Always Be Civil

Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness:

• Be civil. Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.
  • Keep it clean. Don’t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.
  • Respect each other. Don’t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.
  • Respect our forum. Don’t post spam or otherwise vandalize the forum.

These are not concrete terms with precise definitions — avoid even the appearance of any of these things. If you’re unsure, ask yourself how you would feel if your post was featured on the front page of the New York Times.

This is a public forum, and search engines index these discussions. Keep the language, links, and images safe for family and friends.

So I think you’ll be fine as long as you put warnings everywhere.

1 Like

hmm… Good thing this is 13 and older

2 Likes

And since MakeCode Arcade has a whooping 160 x 120 pixel screen, you can’t really have high definition jump scares or blood which does turn down on the scary parts.

Not that I don’t like how it’s a low-res screen. It presents interesting challenges :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You could make them no matter what size they are. BTW if you were to make blood, how many pixels of red dots would you consider. Maximum. I go for 20

1 Like

That’s good to keep in mind!
And ngl I was just listening to a FNaF song lMao

2 Likes

Depends on the splatter honestly

3 Likes

I am fine with jumpscares though

1 Like

i will see cause i want a horror game

1 Like

you can

i cannot wait

Will you make the game soon?

1 Like

@UnderwaterAstronaut If you use a black and white palette and one bright color (perhaps red?) it would create a nice contrast. I feel like the contrast in a “horror” game makes the element of surprise “scarier”. Psychologically when you have similarities (Black and white in this scenario) and one thing that stands out (pop of color) it can make the human brain at unease.

3 Likes

maybe make like uhh… specter with black outer parts of it’s eyes with red inner parts of it’s eyes

1 Like

I’m planning to make some sort of horror game soon! But since there is an Ocean Jam at the moment, I wanna work on that game first so I’d have it ready! But when I’m not busy with that I’ll be trying to make some games with this idea

1 Like

Ooooo yeah great idea! I should try that when I do work on a “horror” game!!

1 Like