Noob question : Unable to create stage map for the game

Background (not relevant) :Pretty new to the platform, was going to participate in the itch.io jam but got stuck in the map creation for the game.

Issue: : I was going through the tutorial of jumpy-plaformer to see implementation of the stage maps, however func(assigning color codes to the tile) was not appearing in the block sections and after writing own code the platform doesn’t allow to change to blocks.

Requirement: A help in understanding the tile features, the relative size issue etc from a newer example maybe.

PS : I had gone through documentation but still needs help :disappointed:

1 Like

Before the release of arcade, the tile maps used in jumpy platformer were replaced with new blocks along with a custom editor to make it easier to make full games. The blocks used in Jumpy Platformer were moved to the Color Coded Tilemap extension.

I would suggest using the new tile map editor - it allows for many more tiles at once, and lets you preview the map as you’re building it. The Simple extensions and Maze tutorials on the home screen shows how to use it (and here’s a video of Peli and his son going through it that might also be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sXUtLg7upA – there’s also a video for simple extensions on the channel).

2 Likes

Does this apply to the Intro to CS part 2 curriculum? There are broken blocks in the docs and I couldn’t find all of the apis to complete the assignments.

1 Like

Oh, I thought those were fixed… Only the blocks portion is in the extension (the javascript portion still exists), so it was passing our documentation check tool. I’ll go through and fix those real quick and add a hint that they use the extension, thanks for letting me know! (fix here, will try and get that merged in tomorrow)

1 Like

That was fast. Thanks

1 Like

Another team member just reviewed it and it’s merged now, so it should be fixed now actually (likely will have to use an incognito / private browsing window to check though, as documentation pages are cached for one day)

1 Like

awesome. BTW, I couldn’t find a link to these forums from the Arcade website. Is that intentional? https://arcade.makecode.com/

1 Like

There are a few links, but they aren’t obvious - in the community games category on the home screen there’s an “open in forum” option on each game to take you to the original forum post. There’s also a button on the share screen that starts a post for you with the game in it.

Could probably at least have a link in the home page / docs footers too, though - something to think about for new release is suppose :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah. You could at least put ‘support’ or ‘forums’ under the gear icon in the top header.

1 Like