How can I make sonic go upside down without falling

some
and one more thing i had an accident on my way home so i can’t talk to you for a while

1 Like

It’s nice to finally see someone use my old project for something, and it would be complicated to have running from floor to wall to ceiling (although I might be able to do it if I put a few hours into it), but if you just want to have him go upside down, you should have a specific tile for the ceiling and have “If tile to top of mysprite= “ceiling tile” and mysprite vx≠0” then set mysprite AY to -200, else set mysprite AY to 200. I could probably make some ot the mechanics if you want to do a collab, but I’m just not good at level design.

1 Like

If this is based of the Sonic 1/2/3&k/Mania engine then if not angle equals 0 then set ay to 0 else set ay to gravity.

1 Like

Update: I’ve made a new update to this demo, and there will also be constant updates too. This one doesn’t allow ceiling running and only physics for running on one side of the wall (the right side), but I’ve made many physics like running and jumping.

2 Likes

Quick bug fix:

1 Like

i am trying todo a loop
but how

New Update: It’s almost complete, it just needs ramps in the other direction and maybe a world map (also bug fixes)!

2 Likes

Now I finally did it!!! You can’t do loops yet but everything else is done.

2 Likes

Wow thanks

Now I made it with loops (only going right, but I don’t think there will need to be loops in the left direction):

2 Likes

Thanks so much

1 Like

It’s finally done!!! I was going to name this 0.5, but I think this is deserving of being 1.0 because it is basically complete (but if you want another type of platform or ramp you can still ask for it). This was hard, but extremely fun and I like how this demo came out. I’ve never made physics this polished, with few glitches, and fun to play around with before and it is one of the few games I’ve made that I actually like to play. It has a small testing area that I made and used while coding. I hope you like it. It has a lot of processes going on but still runs over 50fps (with no lag spikes). I tried to make it as similar to the original sonic games as possible. I am always interested in suggestions of bug fixes, new ramps/platforms, and physics changes. Here’s the game:

I hope you have as much fun as I do with this physics engine. You can make a game with this, but please credit me.

1 Like

Late to this thread, but there is a very detailed guide as to how the physics engine works in sonic games here: http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Physics_Guide

1 Like

Thanks @richard, this is very informational.

Are you planning on making levels for this??

@Erico I probably won’t be making levels for this (although I might use some features of this game in future games). I have a (possibly final?) update for this which makes it so that when you are going up a slope, you go slower, but when you go down a slope, you go faster.

You can make levels, or even a full game out of this if you want, but please credit me if you do. I could probably make more platforms/physics if asked for. I’m just not good at level design so that’s why I just stick to demos usually. There is no location specific code, just tile specific, so if you have the correct tiles placed down for the correct ramps, building levels should be really easy.

I made a randomizer