Just finished another cabinet for school!

My school district has a mobile makerspace that is a converted school bus, thought that this would make an excellent addition to the different activities they have available when they travel around to schools.
My favorite part of this build was that I was able to make it dual purpose, swap out the SD card in the back and it will run either MakeCode Arcade or RetroPie on the same Pi Zero. Oh yeah, and the custom kid artwork we used for the sideart.

Trailer Video:

10 Likes

Here are all the student-created games that went along with our middle school intro to game design unit. There are some gems and many of the kids were hesitant to turn them in because they wanted to keep adding levels and more mechanics.

The plan now is to put our top picks on the FutureCade and send it on its way around the district.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness! This is sooo cool! I wish I was in your class! Beautiful cabinet - love the artwork and the trailer video!!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

It looks amazing! It’s time to start a gallery…

1 Like

That side art is awesome! Great looking cabinet!

1 Like

Thanks, we took school-wide submissions and a kid gave us the space backdrop with alien and crashed ship. He titled it Beezlebop :). From there we took a bunch of sprites from their games and got a good sampling of some of their game characters.

1 Like

I am curious as to whether I can buy the cabinet. The design and finish is very professional.

1 Like

I’ve actually thought of putting together a kit that could be built easily but nothing for sale yet :). I do think every school should have one.

Here’s a company that sells kits, I don’t know anything about them, I’ve just seen ads all over the web: https://gameroomsolutions.com/shop/bartop-arcade-kit-deluxe/

1 Like

GameRoomSolutions has some interesting options for a cabinet. For a mere 1300 dollars I can the get the plug and play cabinet with all the bells and whistles. Thank you for supplying this information, but I think on my budget, I’ll stick to using my PyGamer :wink: (that is if it is able to always upload games :wink: :wink: )

2 Likes

AMAZING work, @senorlloyd!!!

I wish school had been this fun, and that science and tech could’ve been taught so inspiring when I was young, instead of old iron curtain betamax science shows… :wink:

I’m a little curious about whether the MakeCode Arcade games could run well on the RetroPie image on the Pi Zero, as well, so you don’t have to swap the SD cards all the time?

However, the boot up screen on the MakeCode Arcade Image was kinda cool and fitted the awesome cabinet well.

1 Like

Might be possible but outside of my capabilities.

1 Like

As of today only cut ‘n paste!:

:wink:

2 Likes

Noice. That would be pretty cool to have one frontend to do it all.

I do love the drag-n-drop capability of the MakeCode Arcade build for the Pi, especially with the use case of younger kids in school, I think that in and of itself makes the platform stand out for education. Very similar to what MakeCode and Microbit are doing in the edu realm.

1 Like

Totally agree for the edu realm! The MakeCode image is simple to use, less the distractions of all the other games, and looks fly with your beautiful cabinet.

Half of the fun with RetroPie is all the tweaking, which also maybe lends itself badly to a stable system in the hallway for everyone to use, or to be usable when you need it to be…

I was just suggesting a possible solution to the swapping of the SD cards(and of course test data on how McAirpos runs on the RPi Zero and your controllers, would be valuable to me…). :wink:

Keep on retro game coding and playing(and building awesome cabinets)!

1 Like

Nice…

1 Like

I just had a couple questions about a build im doing with my students with your amazing McAirPos
on a raspi 3B+

1. how do I set up executable permissions through umask, as I am having to set up that permission everytime I add a game
  2. I am installing the .elf files over Filezilla right now and I would like to have students be able to use the usb to upload their games, just wonderng what would be the process to make that happen?
  3. I am using a usb speaker and have run through this tutorial to get it running, however I still get no sound when running Makecode games?

Thanks for any suggestions and all your hard work on this amazing tool, we cant wait to get this fully up and running!

Thanks for the kind words, @Dace, and happy to hear whenever the tool is of use to people!

1. I am sorry, but I realize now that when I mentioned umask in the readme, that I was thinking wrongly, since it is system/process wide, and not for a specific directory. Would it work to “chown -R pi:pi” on the ~/RetroPie/roms/makecode folder?

2. Should be possible to just copy the games from usb, which should be auto mounted(if I remember correctly) when plugged in somewhere under /media, to the above folder.

3. I have only experience with jack or hdmi sound, all I know is that ALSA must be installed and believe the games try to open the default sound device with lowest number. Sadly no experience outside toggling those in raspi-config.

Hope some of this works and wish I could’ve been of more help!

1 Like

oh that’s great! thanks a lot, ill post a pic here when we get it up and running :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool video of the kids talking about some of their games from the project.

2 Likes

How did it go? If there are still wrinkles using McAirpos, maybe I can help you better if you open an issue at GitHub, and so that we don’t hijack more of this thread for showcasing MakeCode Arcade cabinet projects.