Microsoft MakeCode

WindOS insider build program - applications open!

Hello everyone, I’ve been working hard recently on reviving an old project of mine and rising it from it’s ashes. The Windows 7 in Makecode project was abandoned, but never forgotten. And now it’s making an e p i c return, in the form of it’s superior succesor. Currently in Insider build 21b2, The WindOS system will be released soon (hopefully) and everyone will be able to have a taste of it. Anyways, last time on the old project (mentioned above) I promised to let people test the alpha - and that never happened. But this time I will make sure I don’t make the same mistake.

Apply to test/contribute to the project here.

Here is some extra info about the project:

Compatible Makecode Hardware: N/A - system is too big in size
Packages included: [makeBoot BIOS, iMDS - integrated Makecode Disk System]
Extra peripherials: Custom virtual keyboard, Precision capable; modifiable cursor

4 Likes

When will 21b2 be avaliable and what is the naming scheme for WindOS?

2 Likes

Well, there is no planned builds that I named yet but 21 is a number of the build itself (so it goes 22, 23, 24…) and b2 is the block in that build (so it goes a1, a2, a3, b1, b2, c1 ect.)

And the first build will be out when I finish the EFMS (Extendable MakeCode File System) - the thing has a lot of bugs that I need to patch to make the thing work, but hey - it will be there soon.

2 Likes

Cboy currently uses TBSI (Tilemap Based System Interface) so you can’t really delete or add anything, but MAYBE in later builds of Cboy V or in early builds of Cboy Azure (the 7th version) this will change TSHI (Tilemap Settings Hybrid Interface) Where basic apps are controlled by the User (minimum allowed apps is 10) However, this requires a clean slate, so I’ll start Implementing it around tommorow, and It should take at least a month.

Creative naming scheme! Cboy Azure Builds (Specifically the TSHI builds) will go like this : The Month, The Year, The Build.
(For example the first version would be 8211, the last being probably 92111(i don’t know how much builds will be made)) Gotta start working on TSHI & Cboy Azure, this won’t stop other projects though…
Can you post a screenshot of it at least?

2 Likes

Also, wouldn’t it be EMFS not EFMS?

2 Likes

Sorry, my bad. Yes, it would be EMFS

2 Likes

Can you take a screenshot, like the one below

2 Likes

Well, like I stated before, I’m not home currently so no PC = no WindOS. when i get back home i will post one

2 Likes

The system I will be using is going to allow not only placing apps on the desktop but having a fully extendale storage that goes up to 16 kilobytes (the limit of the settings extention) meaning you will be able to create, edit, rename, copy, paste and do so many more things with files and directories (folders) as long as you stay within the 16k size limit.

Also, WindOS will have a registry to store all of the system and app settings, that way they don’t interfere (ik i spelled it wrong i’m not a native english speaker pls dont kill mee) with the files the user creates. Another handy feature WindOS will have is calculating remaining storage left (every time you make a file it will count the characters and convert their size into kilobytes, then add that to the already existing storage and then compare it to the total amount available to check the percentage full and display it to the user with a healthbar)

2 Likes

Use the beta editor - it has cloud functionalities, if you had a Microsoft account you can get WindOS on your other devices.
I’m switching to it because it has cloud

2 Likes

Just a friendly reminder to make sure you’re backing up your projects (by generating share URLs or clicking the “Save” button by the project name to save PNGs, or using Github) frequently if you’re using the beta editor and/or cloud functionality! We put all our newest changes in the beta editor, but that means there’s a risk of having your projects break or disappear.

3 Likes

I will make it a cloud project as soon as I’m back home, but there is no way i can currently reach the project as it is saved on my PC and not on GitHub or MakeCode cloud.

2 Likes

Yep, I always backup with a png anyways to stay safe

4 Likes

yes I do that already

4 Likes

This is Cboy Azure (so far)
There is a setting that manages the amount of settings in Cboy.

It reads the length of an array of all settings, which is converted from an number to string, so Cboy can read it.
Then Cboy Spams the amount of Settings, taken from the Main Storage Processor that I programmed. This takes care of the storage limit of 40 settings per user.

I’m using the beta editor for this and (2 extentions lol)

2 Likes

More Graphics in the Monitor, still has that Console within it
Its like Cboy Lite

2 Likes
  • Debug
2 Likes

Cboy’s TSHI is going good. In fact, all of the main TSHI apps are done, but TSHI is still needing some more apps. Right now, I have calculator
You can divide by 0 in the calculator… it equals infinity.
I did a storage test and made a graph thanks to Makecode Arcade’s Console. I started to add and delete random files to Cboy (thanks to the add/read/delete file app installed)

The Y value is the no. of settings and the X is the row. As you can see, there’s a lot of rows. Thanks to the console, I didn’t have to do it manually (whew!) I went up to 36/100 settings before going back down again. How did I add files to climb from 7 to 36? This code right here!

You can also read files.
How this works is Let’s say I make a file called “12” and I insert a very simple value into it.
Now the setting 12 stores the value “abc123”. It remembers what the value is.
It searches for the setting, and reads its value.
Here’s the code screenshot for that
If it doesn’t find it, then it shows an Error 404. Which means a file or directory is null
Deleting Files is the same as Reading one. Cboy Searches for it and once it finds the file, removes it
Editing files will come soon with similar functionality to the Adding files, but there will be searching for files too.
Wow this was a lot of code. Compared to Cboy Pumpkin Pie, which was 2.5K lines of code, this was roughly 300, about 10 times less.

But just looking at the JavaScript version is seriously complicated. I didn’t use the Block Objects, I used settings. Both work the same I guess. There is still more work to be done, so I guess build 8211 is coming out today!

2 Likes

Added loads of things in it, you can add random files and delete them and even view them. Also, you can view how much storage is on each folder.

2 Likes

WOOW! Yes, finally, i’ve been so excited to try this!! As soon as I can get my hands on my pc I will continue coding EMFS.

2 Likes