Thanks for getting back to me on this. I can download other games. I was also able to download previous versions, so I was starting to think maybe there is a limitation to how big the game can be. Do you have any other modifications? Does the pygamer take an extra memory card? If so, do you happen to know what the maximum size might be? I read somewhere that you cannot load more than one Arcade game at a time, so I’m not sure what the memory card would be used for. Perhaps you can use it for other platforms that can load on to it. I have also tried so many different USB cables, but it doesn’t make any difference. I would als think so long as the computer sees the device on the computer, that even manually copying the file to the drive should work as well.
Which operating system do you have? Windows, Mac, etc.
I uploaded it from a Linux laptop, copying the arcade-Frogging-Fun-100.utf2 file onto the PYGAMERBOOT drive. The file size was 682.5 kB, and it surprised me that this worked since I thought there was a smaller size limit for Arcade games.
If I reboot the PyGamer, the PYGAMERBOOT drive shows CURRENT.UF2 with a file size of 1.0 MB.
According to MeowBit Sd Card Slot the SD card slot isn’t currently supported for storing games, and I don’t have an SD card installed in mine. If I understand it right, the issue with that seems to be that the PyGamer only provides very low-level access to the SD card controller, and since the protocol is quite complicated it would be challenging to provide a driver to make it usable in the Arcade environment.
I am not aware of using a full screen image. Is there something in the code that suggests otherwise?
Also based on my previous reply, and the way I have coded the game, is there anything I should change? I know I have a lot of functions, probably too many, and have also defined many variables (sometimes just to make debugging the game easier). So if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear from you. I want to make the game ‘leaner’, and I know I can do with a few less sprites. I look forward to your advice.
We do tree shaking on the compiled code, so the only code included in the binary is code that is actually referenced. It’s possible that the extension references you mentioned removed from the code were bringing in a lot of code. Other than that, I dunno. If you have a version of the project that does not download I might be able to poke around when I have some free time.
I apologize for jumping to conclusions. It was after a commented out parts of the code using the image transform extension, that it worked again. Shortly after, I put the code back, and I was still able to upload the game. So I am completely out of wits what was causing the problem, except that it must be my computer, the usb cable or the Arcade gods playing tricks on me. Sorry.
I have a few thoughts, some related to the memory concerns raised, and some related to your specific issue.
Regarding the Rotate Sprites extension: I do not believe I have tested it on hardware, so I do not know how it performs. It takes for granted the amount of memory in a browser, so it may exceed the RAM available on the hardware platform.
Along those lines, static images that are included with your project do not occupy space in RAM. So, if you’re running into the memory limit, I’d create the images in blocks and store the images in arrays, and then select the appropriate image from the arrays as needed. As @richard mentioned, dynamic images can quickly use up the available RAM on these hardware devices.
I don’t have a hardware device on hand at the moment. I probably should have one on-hand here in my remote office, now that I’m spending more time here. Anyway, if you continue to have difficulties, let us know what error messages you are getting.